FareShare believes that no good food should go to waste and is currently undertaking a three year expansion plan that will see us strive ever closer to that vision. As the Warehouse Manager of FareShare London you will be at the forefront of making this happen. You will ensure quality surplus food helps feed people in need, by leading, motivating and developing your team and the operation to ensure consistent delivery and performance within a dynamic environment.
We are looking for an experienced Warehouse Manager who wants to join FareShare at an exciting time of growth and evolution and who is looking for their next role helping to deliver real social impact on a daily basis.
A FareShare Regional Centre (RC) is unique: every day great quality surplus food arrives, some expected, some more of a surprise. The RC operates with a volunteer workforce team which, by its very nature, is diverse and with varying availability and skills. FareShare Merseyside currently operates in this environment, receiving an average of 60 tonnes of food per month which is dispatched through a variety of distribution channels to over 170 CFMs. Our plans are to more than double current operations over the next three years.
As the Warehouse Manager you will oversee and manage successfully day-to-day, as well as developing and implementing new operational practices, efficiencies and standards to achieve our growth plans. As the Head Office RC we are also aiming to develop FareShare Merseyside as a centre of excellence within the food redistribution industry and our extended FareShare Network.
Food Safety and Health & Safety are at our core. You will be fully responsible for compliance in these areas, ensuring the safe storage and transport of the food, plus the safety and well-being of all RC staff, volunteers and visitors.
Inherent within our mission is to ensure no good food goes to waste, so you will use your skills and expertise to minimise waste by working with our food partners and food sourcing team to ensure when food arrives and leaves the warehouse it is fit for consumption and timely.
Main areas of responsibility
- Accountable for the day-to-day performance of the warehouse
- Responsible for the development and management of resource plans to meet fluctuating food volumes, CFM demand, volunteer availability and growth plans
- Responsible for logistics planning to ensure safe, timely and cost effective distribution of food to meet CFM needs
- Analyse performance, food volumes, waste and volunteer requirements against KPIs and produce reports as required by the Merseyside Development Manager
- Manage and provide leadership and support to your staff team of Warehouse Coordinators and Drivers, as well as the volunteer workforce
- Ensure a smooth introduction and consistently high standard of service to all new and existing CFMs throughout their membership of FareShare
- Responsible for contributing to the continuous improvement of FareShare by identifying, recommending and implementing innovative operational efficiencies to working practices to achieve growth plans
- Manage and use the in-house stock management system, with responsibility for the training of warehouse staff and volunteers
- Make all efforts to minimise waste whilst achieving required targets for food volumes and CFMs served
- Maintain good relations and communications with food partners and CFMs. Liaising and assisting teams across FareShare with their queries and carrying out reasonable management requests to support other teams as required
- To carry out any other duties which may be reasonably requested
- Accountable for ensuring the FareShare warehouse and logistics operate within the guidelines of FareShare policies and procedures, the required legislation covering all aspects of Food Safety and Health & Safety and to ensure that all staff, volunteers, donors, recipients and visitors adhere to them as appropriate
- Ensure the highest standard of attainment is delivered in all external and internal audits. Plus fully participate in any other audit, as required by food partners or external parties
- Carry out and update risk assessments as defined by the FareShare operating manual, relevant legislation and ensure risk assessments for all new activity are in place
- Comply with monitoring and evaluation systems and report regularly to the Merseyside Development Manager or FSUK Operations team as required
- Manage the Warehouse Coordinators and Drivers to achieve a positive and motivational working environment, encouraging great team morale and cohesive teamwork at all times
- Provide leadership and support to your staff team of Warehouse Coordinators and Drivers
- Conduct regular performance reviews with your staff team of Warehouse Coordinators and Drivers and aid in their development to meet their individual and FareShare needs through leading, coaching, mentoring
- Work closely with the Volunteer Manager in FareShare Merseyside to support the recruitment, training and retention of volunteers
As an employer committed to Equal Opportunities, we will assess applications in line with these criteria that we consider either as being essential or desirable in this role.
Experience & Knowledge
- Significant warehouse experience with minimum 5 years managing and team leading
- Familiar with recruitment, training and performance management practices with evidence of demonstrating a flexible approach to team working
- Excellent communicator, able to deliver change and comfortable reporting to management
- Resilient and determined and able to demonstrate that you are capable of leading in challenging conditions and make decisions
- Considerable Health and Safety experience, completing risk assessments, maintaining standards and implementing improvements
- Highly numerate and literate, capable of analysing data and reports with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work on own initiative, manage own workload and prioritise tasks to meet objectives
- Friendly and approachable team leader, able to build strong working relationships internally and externally
- Strong IT skills, especially with MS Excel and willing to learn our food management system
- Experienced driver, with full, clean driving licence
- Eligibility to work in UK
- Experience working in regulated food environment
- Working with people who may have additional support needs
- Driving vans/medium sized vehicles
Competencies and behaviours
- An understanding of, and passion for, the mission and values of FareShare
- Personable with a good sense of humour and excellent communication skills
- Gravitas and confidence to direct staff and volunteers
- Calm under pressure
- Organised and able to deal with conflicting priorities and make “on the spot” decisions
- Approachable and sensitive attitude towards a diverse workforce of volunteers, comprising of students, retirees, working people, job seekers, serving prisoners, people with additional needs, corporate volunteers etc
- Commitment to FareShare’s Equality & Diversity ethos
If the jobholder does not hold these qualifications they must be willing to train to attain:
- Level 3 Food Safety Supervision
- HACCP Planning
- IOSHH Managing Safely
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- ITSSAR Fork lift truck licence
- SEMA Rack Safety Awareness
To register your interest in this role, please submit your CV and Cover Letter and Equal Opportunities form via our website by the 20th May 2021. Interview date to be confirmed.