About Farms for City Children
Farms for City Children is a vibrant Charity that welcomes children from cities and disadvantaged communities to experience the adventure of working together on our farms in the heart of the British countryside. Whether they stay for a whole week with their school or come with a local group for a day visit, this unique experience can be life changing. Visiting children are immersed in the natural world of food, farming and countryside life where they participate in the seasonal tasks of the day: sowing, growing and harvesting in our kitchen gardens; caring for livestock and looking after the land; and cooking up a home-grown feast in the farmhouse kitchen. Spending time working alongside real farmers fosters children’s independence and helps them to grow in confidence, develops their self-esteem, and encourages them to become more resilient. At our heritage farms and in partnership with our commercial farming neighbours, children experience the benefits of collaboration, enjoy plenty of physical activity, good food, and fresh air, and discover the magical rural environment that is full of new words, sounds and experiences to inspire their creativity.
In more usual years, Farms for City Children welcomes 3,000 children for a week-long stay on our farms. With the disruption caused by the Covid19 crisis we have been unable to operate residential visits since March 2019 but have expanded our offer to also include day-visits for local groups, allowing us to reach beneficiaries and deliver charitable services. The Charity generates grants and donations to subsidise 60% of all visits, making it as affordable and accessible as possible for all children.
About this role
We are looking for a dynamic, innovative, and energetic Head of Finance and Resources who is looking for a challenging and busy role with the opportunity to lead significant change. A passion for what we do and a belief in the overarching mission of our Charity is essential. As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team and working closely with the Chief Executive this role has a vital and central part to play in ensuring the Charity continues to thrive. The successful candidate will have an equivalent level of seniority in their current role and excellent technical accounting skills having worked their way up through the various level of finance functions over at least 10 years. The role has a broad scope that also includes oversight of the HR, governance, and administration functions, so demonstrable experience of working across these areas would be a significant asset. A practical understanding of all aspects of a busy finance function gained in a similar-sized organisation is crucial, as is a thorough understanding of Charity SORP, a strategic approach, and the ability to communicate financial information effectively and clearly to non-finance colleagues. This is a practical, hands-on role heading up a small and busy team, with around 40% of time working directly on transactional financial tasks and the remaining 60% on strategic leadership, financial forecasting, and management of a robust finance function. Adaptability, flexibility and an enquiring mind with the ability to see beyond the day to day and strive for continuous improvement is key in this role.
This role will be based at our Huxham Barns offices outside of Exeter, Devon. Due to the Covid19 restrictions our Huxham Barns staff are currently working remotely with access to the office for essential tasks and facilities only. It is anticipated that all staff at Huxham Barns will return to the office when it is safe to do so.
The successful candidate will be required to travel to each of our farms at least twice each term for face-to-face meetings with farms teams.
Some flexible working will be considered for this role provided the role does not go below 33.75 hours per week (0.9 FTE).
The successful candidate must have the ability to travel between all four remotely located sites, across Devon, Pembrokeshire and Gloucestershire, with expense for travel reimbursed by the Charity.
All appointments are subject to the receipt of two satisfactory references, evidence of the existing proof of right to work in the UK, and a satisfactory DBS check prior to the start date.
To apply please email us with an up-to-date CV and a supporting statement clearly detailing how you meet the person specification. Closing date for applications is midday on 27 January 2021. First interviews will take place during week commencing 1 February.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.