To build and develop supporter relationships with individuals, parishes and other groups, to inspire them about FACE and its work in order to increase income and help deliver the charity’s goals. Working with the Director of Fundraising, the postholder will develop and implement strategies to acquire, engage and retain individual donors and to recruit and manage volunteers in parishes.
ABOUT THE CHARITY:
Fellowship and Aid to the Christians of the East (FACE) is a Christian charity which draws on 170 years’ experience of helping Eastern Christians to remain in their homelands – the Biblical lands - where Christianity was born and first spread. In partnership with our sister agency, Œuvre d’Orient, we enable people of all faiths and none in the Middle East, North Africa and the Horn of Africa to free themselves from a life of poverty, inequality and injustice. Together with the local Christian communities, we aim to bring lasting change to those regions through education, healthcare, pastoral support and community projects.
FACE enables Eastern Christians:
- to rebuild their homes and communities
- to educate their children
- to create employment opportunities
- to secure the maintenance of their churches, schools, hospitals and care homes
- to promote ecumenical and interreligious relations
- to be peacemakers and mediators in their multi-faith communities
- to be a force for good in bridging divisions between the different faiths of the region
- to strengthen the pastoral bonds with Western Christians.
1. DONOR ENGAGEMENT
- Develop long-term sustainable income by identifying the audiences, channels and messages that will win their support
- Develop and implement a supporter recruitment strategy with compelling appeals and other direct marketing activities to secure support from individual donors (excluding major donors)
- Achieve annual income targets as agreed with the Director of Fundraising
- Work with the Communications Consultant to contribute to the charity’s communications, including newsletters and social media output
- Develop and implement a committed giving programme to increase regular income from direct debits and standing orders
- Develop and implement a legacy marketing programme to encourage supporters to pledge to leave a gift in their Will
- Provide strong supporter stewardship, with swift and reassuring feedback to donors and thanking them promptly as soon as gifts are received
- Assist with the organisation of donor cultivation and stewardship events
- Encourage and support individuals and groups to fundraise through challenge events and community fundraising initiatives
- Deliver own financial targets as well as contributing to team annual income targets
- Develop and maintain a workplan with a timeline of agreed activities that is regularly reviewed with the Director of Fundraising.
2. SUPPORT FROM PARISHES, SCHOOLS AND OTHER GROUPS
- Develop and implement a volunteer-led parish fundraising strategy, focusing initially on a small number of selected dioceses
- Proactively contact parish priests to inform and engage with them about FACE and its work and to seek their approval to recruit parish volunteers and communicate with their congregations
- Recruit, manage and train a network of parish volunteers who will be advocates of FACE and who will seek support from their church congregations, for example through second collections at Mass
- Disseminate news of FACE’s activities and events, including the International Day of Prayer for Eastern Christians, to dioceses in England, Wales, and Scotland
- Build effective relationships with religious education and history departments in schools and with university chaplaincies to engage with them and their pupils/students about FACE’s work.
- Maximise income from Gift Aid
- Make maximum use of the supporter database, ensuring that donor transactions and communications are promptly and accurately recorded and in compliance with data protection legislation
- Ensure that FACE’s policies are adhered to and that all activities are undertaken in line with FACE’s policies and procedures.
4. OTHER DUTIES
- Undertake other tasks and projects from time to time as requested by the Director of Fundraising.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of developing an individual giving strategy with a track record of securing sustainable income from individuals through multi-channel direct marketing activity
- Experience of successfully planning and implementing initiatives designed for a Church audience
- Experience of recruiting and managing volunteers
- Experience of organising donor events or attending as an active member of the ‘home team’
- Experience of managing income and expenditure budgets, and tracking fundraising against targets
- An understanding of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and of key data security issues
- Experience of using relationship databases and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Knowledge and understanding of the Catholic Church, its culture and networks
- An interest in and empathy towards the plight of Christians in the Middle East
- Experience of working with an international development and/or faith-based charity
- Experience of digital fundraising and using social media to engage with audiences
- Experience of organising third party events within the charitable sector
- A good understanding of Gift Aid administration
- Experience of working with trustees and influential stakeholders
- Some knowledge of the Eastern Churches would be an asset
- Some knowledge of the geo-politics of the Middle East would be an advantage
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND BEHAVIOURS
- The ability to develop strong and trusting relationships with individuals and Church stakeholders, particularly parish priests.
- The ability to articulate sometimes complex issues in a compelling and persuasive way and to present confidently to donors, parishes, dioceses and other groups
- The ability to write compelling appeals and newsletters
- Strong customer service skills with a commitment to high quality supporter stewardship
- The ability to manage multiple projects, often with conflicting demands, and the ability to prioritise effectively
- The ability to scan the external environment to keep up to date on giving trends and best practice in fundraising
- Self-motivated with an entrepreneurial mindset and a willingness to work collaboratively as a member of a small team on all aspects of FACE’s fundraising and to ‘pitch in’ willingly to help when needed.
Reporting to: Director of Fundraising
Location: Central London – with flexibility for some home working (staff are working remotely during COVID-19 restrictions)
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: circa £35,000 per annum – negotiable according to experience
Hours per week: 37.5 hours - full time (or 30 hours per week - 4 days per week)
Holidays: 28 days per year inclusive of public holidays
INTERVIEWS FOR THIS POST WILL BE SCHEDULED AS THE APPLICATIONS COME IN.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.