First Give is an exciting small charity. It runs programmes in schools across the country to develop a culture of charitable giving and social action in young people, motivating them to make a positive difference to causes they care about. Our mission is to ensure that the next generation will be kinder, more altruistic and more socially conscious, with the skills and confidence to drive social change.
We currently reach about 30,000 young people in 170 schools a year who in turn raise thousands of pounds for local charities. Through the programme, students connect with local charities of their choice and design and deliver social action projects to support their class’s cause. At the end of the programme, at a School Final event, all the students are recognised for their hard work and one class secures a £1,000 grant for their charity. In the last five years over 115,000 teenagers have completed the First Give programme.
We believe the potential exists to engage many more young people in our work and are looking for a new trustee who will share our ambition to turn First Give into a charity which helps to transform the nature of philanthropy for the next generation. We are at a pivotal moment in our journey with a strong track record, a committed team and a Board of Trustees who are eager to see the charity grow and scale to reach many more young people over the next few years.
We are excited to welcome a new Trustee to our Board this year. We look forward to receiving your application.
As a trustee you will have the following responsibilities
- Working with the executive team to shape a strategy which will deliver on our ambitious goals;
- Championing and demonstrating a commitment to our cause;
- Getting involved in fundraising efforts;
- Utilising skills and contacts for the benefit of the charity;
- Inspiring effective leadership and supporting the executive team;
- Monitoring performance, ensuring accountability and resourcefulness; and
- Maintaining high standards of governance and helping to ensure the organisation is compliant with legal and regulatory requirements.
First Give’s Board has quarterly meetings which are sometimes supplemented by focused single issue meetings in line with the organisation’s needs at the time.
Trustees must come to occasional First Give events to support the charity – as part of the induction process they would be expected to visit one or two in-school events
Terms are for three years with the option of extending to a further three years beyond that.
- Collaborative in your approach, able to challenge constructively and think strategically, you have the skills to perform an ambassadorial role and to communicate effectively at all levels.
- You have experience with start-up organisations and have been directly involved in helping them scale successfully
- You are passionate about young people and their ability to drive social change
- You have experience of leading a small charity and have been directly involved in bringing about its growth.
- You have had some experience of working with the educational sector and understand how this market operates
Applications close by 5pm on 26th February and shortlisted candidates will be asked to interview shortly after.
NB First Give is committed to the safety and welfare of children and young people. We follow Safer Recruitment Guidelines. Any offer of a position on our Board is subject to reference and DBS checks.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.