First Step Trust (FST) is a charity that provides real work, training and employment opportunities for people excluded from ordinary working life because of mental health problems or other disabilities or disadvantages.
We have delivered work experience and other opportunities for people (the workforce) across London for many years and we now wish to develop this work through a more formalised training and employment support programme (SMaRT Pathways) particularly, but not exclusively, in the area of the Automotive trade
The Training & Employment Development Manager’s (TEDM) team will include an Automotive Skills Training Co-ordinator, Basic Skills Trainer and an Employment Development Worker.
SMaRT Pathways will provide training and support to the workforce to enable each person to improve their “employability” through work placements or other opportunities, e.g. education and training leading to diploma or other qualifications. Each workforce member requires their own Personal Development Plan (PDP) and Training Plan.
Access to on the job skills such as Motor Vehicle Technician, reception, customer service, finance and bookkeeping are provided at every FST project as part of the daily routine.
To develop FST’s capacity to deliver in-house training and vocational qualifications to people unemployed because of mental health conditions and other disadvantages, providing a coherent and focused pathway through to employment.
Ensure that individuals’ learning and development is fully embedded in work experience, both within FST and in placements with local employers
1. To develop and deliver training both in-house and accredited in the basic skills e.g. literacy, numeracy, ICT, Health & Safety at Work, Customer Service and other related areas ensuring they are accessible to all workforce members
2. To source and organise training and vocational qualifications for workforce (both in-house and external) by liaising with local colleges and training providers.
3. To work closely with the Automotive Skills Training Co-ordinator to ensure the workforce are receiving the required training package in order for them to take their employment goals forward.
4. To ensure training and progress in recorded and monitored through the Personal Develop Plan process and Training Plans.
5. Enable and manage workforce members to actively participate in the delivery of the ‘training section’ ensuring they acquire good quality transferable skills.
6. To provide monitoring reports to the line manager as and when required.
7. Work within the limits and parameters as set out in First Step Trust’s policies and procedures
8. Any other such duties required by senior management that are appropriate to the post.
Qualifications and Experience
• Demonstrable experience of the training sector
• An appropriate training qualification e.g. PTLLS/AET
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience of developing, coordinating and delivering training programmes
Knowledge and skills
• Understanding of the vocational qualification framework and familiarity with processes of accrediting bodies
• Experience of providing advice on appropriate training opportunities/qualifications preferred
• Experience of maintaining and monitoring recording systems
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), email, Internet and social media.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
· Understanding of and commitment to the values and approach of First Step Trust
· Commitment to opposing discrimination and actively promoting equality of opportunity