First Step Trust (FST) is a charity that provides real work, training and employment opportunities for people excluded from ordinary working life because of mental health problems or other disabilities or disadvantages.
We have delivered work experience and other opportunities for people (the workforce) across London for many years and we now wish to develop this work through a more formalised training and employment support programme (SMaRT Pathways) particularly, but not exclusively, in the area of the Automotive trade.
The Training & Employment Development Manager’s (TEDM) team will include an Automotive Skills Training Co-ordinator, Basic Skills Trainer and an Employment Development Worker.
SMaRT Pathways will provide training and support to the workforce to enable each person to improve their “employability” through work placements or other opportunities, e.g. education and training leading to diploma or other qualifications. Each workforce member requires their own Personal Development Plan (PDP) and Training Plan.
Access to on the job skills such as Motor Vehicle Technician, reception, customer service, finance and bookkeeping are provided at every FST project as part of the daily routine.
The EDM is responsible for developing SMaRT Pathways project so as to increase access to vocational qualifications and training, ensuring that the personal development process provides a clear pathway towards employment. The manager is also responsible for ensuring that people who are not yet ready for paid employment are fully involved in the commercial and administrative work of the project, giving them the opportunity to develop good work experience and expand or rediscover their work skills
- Responsible for managing all areas of the project’s work, ensuring that every member of the workforce is fully involved.
- Responsible for ensuring the Automotive Skills Training Co-ordinator, Basic Skills Trainer and Employment Development Worker successfully undertake their roles and responsibilities through the provision of supervision and support.
- Responsible for managing and monitoring the project’s outcomes, maintaining accurate and up to date records ensuring that the project achieves the funder’s requirements within timescales.
- To liaise with other managers of SMaRT Pathways projects to ensure consistency of the workforce development process.
- To develop relationships with a view to obtaining potential employment opportunities for the workforce.
- To maintain and provide information to meet First Step Trust’s monitoring requirements.
- To work in accordance within the limits and parameters set out in First Step Trust’s policies and procedures by the Board, Chief Executive and other executive officers.
Experience & qualifications
- Demonstrable experience of direct staff management.
- Experience of managing recording systems.
- Experience of networking with external agencies.
- Experience of the training provider sector would be an advantage.
Knowledge & skills
- Ability to deliver on the job training and support to workforce.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills.
- Excellent level of skill in using MS Office, email, internet and social media.
- Commitment to equal opportunities principles and practice.
- Understanding and commitment to the values, principles and approach of First Step Trust.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.