POST: Finance and Administration Officer (Freelance)
LOCATION: This will be a remote working role, working from home with the potential for occasional travel for meetings held either in Northampton or London.
REPORTING TO: Director and Head of Fundraising
SALARY: £96 day rate (inclusive of VAT)
HOURS: 24 days, usually to be worked one day per week
CONTRACT END DATE: 31st March 2021
DBS CHECK: Successful applicants will be subject to DBS checks
A fantastic opportunity for an experienced Finance and Administration Officer to support the finance function at Fit4Life CIC to provide effective financial management. This will involve creating systems, policies and procedures that aim to support our projects that make a difference to the lives of young people we work with. This role is funded from the Coronavirus Community Support Fund, distributed by The National Lottery Community Fund.
Working closely with colleagues from across the organisation, the Finance and Administration Officer will play a key role within the organisation. The applicant should be an effective communicator with a good eye for detail and be comfortable and confident working to deadlines and engaging both internally and externally in a professional manner.
The successful candidate will show positive evidence in a finance and administrative role (or have clear transferable skills), including accounts receivable/payable, preparation of budgets, monthly accounts management, forecasts, year-end financial statements and other reports. The role will also involve supporting the admin function of projects and the day to day running of the charity. Previous experience will ideally include a charity/not-for-profit organisation, but this is not essential. Working collaboratively and being a team player are essential skills as well as a driven and self-starter attitude. The successful candidate will understand the balance of being hands-on in order to get things done and working strategically so that Fit4Life CIC meets its long-term objectives.
This will be a remote working role, working from home with the potential for occasional travel for meetings held either in Northampton or London.
Fit4Life CIC is an equal opportunities employer and as such actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from all suitable candidates irrespective of age, disability, hidden disability, race or national origin, religion or belief, gender, gender expression, political view, sexual orientation, medical condition and pregnancy.
At Fit4Life CIC, we focus on positively changing the lives of young people aged between 12-18 years old, from areas of deprivation, and also those that are not in mainstream education. We do this by developing co-created interventions not for young people but with young people – giving young people a voice.
No matter what cards we’ve been dealt in life, everyone should have the opportunity to succeed. It all starts with personal health and self-care. Using physical activity as a vehicle for change, we aim to increase confidence, provide opportunities, use positive role models and ultimately raise the life aspirations of the young people we work with.
By working in partnership with community-based organisations who share our aims, we help young people gain that essential initial start in life by improving their health, wellbeing and boosting their life aspirations, to help them be the best they can be.
We are recruiting a Finance and Admin Officer to join the organisation at an exciting time in the charity’s development. In this role, you will undertake a variety of responsibilities across finance and administration making it a diverse and interesting role.
As Finance and Admin Officer you will be accountable for a variety of administrative tasks including supporting the grant/bid application process, analysing fundraising reports, organising internal and external meetings and recording minutes of meetings. Additionally, you will take on some key finance accountabilities involving month end reconciliation and the managing of invoices and processing of payments using accounting software Xero.
This is an exciting, fast-paced role which plays a crucial part in developing practices that support the day to day running of the charity.
We are seeking an articulate, self-motivated and proactive individual who is innovative and passionate about making a difference with at least two years’ experience in a finance and administrative role. The candidate will have excellent project management skills, be a confident communicator and an organised self-starter. This role provides a fantastic opportunity to grow and develop significant skills.
- Input fundraising income on the accounting system and fundraising database ensuring accuracy in reporting and maintaining up to date records
- Analyse reports from fundraising platforms for input to accounting system and fundraising database
- Keep the team updated on donations received in order to ensure all donors thanked
- Pay all Invoices received and input these and other payments to the accounting system (Xero) and file appropriately
- Prepare month end reconciliations (including bank reconciliation on Xero)
- Participate in year-end audit process to include responding to auditor requests
- Pay invoices and take accountability for chasing late payments
- Prepare files on Xero for quarterly VAT returns
- Manage personal mailbox, circulate emails as required
- Arrange and minute regular team and project meetings, circulate minutes and chase actions
- Booking of any external venues for meetings as required
- Act as a key contact in signposting relevant enquiries to individuals within the charity
- Take accountability for the ordering and purchasing of stationery
- Manage contracts with the Charity’s suppliers, ensuring value for money and dealing with any issues as they arise
- Arrange quarterly board meetings and sub-committees, preparing agendas and supporting papers. Attend meetings as required and produce minutes, accurately recording the content of meetings and sharing as necessary
- Keep a track of grants application forms, applying criteria to decisions and general administration in relation to the grant and awards process
- Ensure all the Charity’s policies and procedures are maintained and reviewed accurately, and appropriate bodies notified of changes
- Keeping the Google Drive up to date, creating an easy to file/find system
- Arrange DBS checks and contracts as required
- Any other duties as required
● Administration, finance and customer service experience
● Record input and maintenance
- Book-keeping experience, using Xero or other accounting software
Skills, knowledge and abilities
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
● Ability to juggle multiple competing priorities and stay calm under pressure
● MS Office including Word, PowerPoint
● Competent in the use of Excel including the use of formulas and data filtering
● Numeric skills
● Knowledge of Google Docs including Google calendars, Google Hangouts
● Knowledge of computer accounting packages
● Ability to pay attention to detail and produce accurate work
● Ability to follow procedures and guidelines
● Ability to use initiative
● Ability to work as part of a team
● Ability to handle pressure and to work to deadlines
● Ability to work to performance targets
● Ability to deal with telephone queries in a professional manner
- Finance/ book-keeping qualification
- Experience of using Xero
- Previous charity experience
- Previous experience working with a Board of Trustees
- A positive “can do” approach
- Self-motivated and reliable
- Methodical and organised
- Flexible and resilient to change
- Driven with a desire to strive for ongoing professional development
- Respectful of diversity; sensitive toward others in their context, situation and challenges; pluralistic, open and understanding toward other people’s values, autonomy, and faiths demonstrates compassion and empathy; is courteous to others with respect for their situation, background, religion, gender and age
- Committed to the values and ethos of the organisation with a passion for the cause of the charity
- Able to undertake some occasional work in the evenings and at weekends
- Able to travel in the UK if required
- Have your own professional indemnity insurance cover for £1,000,000 (copies will be required)
We are looking for an agile and enthusiastic individual, capable of absorbing key information quickly, as well as the ability to handle a diverse workload in order to meet the fast pace of the organisation. Fit4Life CIC is a small, ambitious charity working to bring about change. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with strong communication skills and work well with a small team who shares our passion for making a difference to the lives of young people we work with.
Fit4Life CIC values having a diverse workforce. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals from all backgrounds.
Please send a CV and covering letter (no more than 2 pages of A4) setting out your interest in and suitability for the role and highlighting why you'd like to work for the charity.
The closing date for applications is 10am on Monday 28th September 2020. Successfully shortlisted candidates will be notified no later than Friday 2nd October 2020. Interviews will be arranged with successful candidates on either Thursday 8th or Friday 9th October 2020 and will take place via video call with the aim of starting the contract on Monday 19th October 2020 (depending on DBS clearance checks).
Please note we will only consider applications with both a CV and covering letter and applications will only be accepted from those with the right to work in the UK with a valid passport/visa.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered under any circumstances.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.