POST: Marketing and Communications Officer (Freelance)
LOCATION: This will be a remote working role, working from home with the potential for occasional travel for meetings held either in Northampton or London.
REPORTING TO: Director and Head of Fundraising
SALARY: £120 day rate (inclusive of VAT)
HOURS: 24 days, usually to be worked one day per week.
CONTRACT END DATE: 31st March 2021
DBS CHECK: Successful applicants will be subject to DBS checks
A fantastic opportunity to support the communications and marketing at Fit4Life CIC. At Fit4Life CIC we use physical activity as a vehicle for change, we aim to increase confidence, provide opportunities, use positive role models and ultimately raise the life aspirations of young people. This role is funded from the Coronavirus Community Support Fund, distributed by The National Lottery Community Fund.
Working closely with colleagues from across the organisation, the successful applicant will support the external communications of the charity, helping to extend the reach of the charity and impacting on the lives of young people we work with.
The successful candidate will show positive evidence in a marketing and communications role. Previous experience will ideally include a charity/not-for-profit organisation, but this is not essential. The Marketing and Communications Officer will develop and implement the charity’s marketing and communications strategy. Working closely with the senior team, the role will manage external communications and marketing campaigns to raise the profile of the charity, this will also include the use of various digital platforms to support fundraising campaigns to engage new and old audiences and existing stakeholders. Working collaboratively and being a team player are essential skills as well as a driven and self-starter attitude. The successful candidate will understand the balance of being hands-on in order to get things done and working strategically so that Fit4Life CIC meets its long-term objectives.
This will be a remote working role, working from home with the potential for occasional travel for meetings held either in Northampton or London.
Fit4Life CIC is an equal opportunities employer and as such actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from all suitable candidates irrespective of age, disability, hidden disability, race or national origin, religion or belief, gender, gender expression, political view, sexual orientation, medical condition and pregnancy.
At Fit4Life CIC, we focus on positively changing the lives of young people aged between 12-18 years old, from areas of deprivation, and also those that are not in mainstream education. We do this by developing co-created interventions not for young people but with young people – giving young people a voice.
No matter what cards we’ve been dealt in life, everyone should have the opportunity to succeed. It all starts with personal health and self-care. Using physical activity as a vehicle for change, we aim to increase confidence, provide opportunities, use positive role models and ultimately raise the life aspirations of young people we work with.
By working in partnership with community-based organisations who share our aims, we help young people gain that essential initial start in life by improving their health, wellbeing and boosting their life aspirations, to help them be the best they can be.
We are recruiting a Marketing and Communications Officer to join the organisation at an exciting time in the charity’s development. Working across the charity, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting external communications and marketing, managing regular updates of the charity’s websites and social media channels. This will include generating innovative content and feeding into the creation of a sustainable social media strategy to grow the charity’s social media following and increase engagement across our digital communication channels.
This is an exciting, fast-paced role which plays a crucial part in shaping our messaging with the aim to attract and engage key stakeholders to raise awareness of the charity, programmes and the difference they make to the lives of young people we work with, and help our team reach any communications targets set by our funders.
We are seeking an articulate, self-motivated and proactive individual who has a flair for communications and at least two years’ experience in a marketing/communications role. The candidate will have excellent writing skills, be a confident communicator and an organised self-starter. This role provides a fantastic opportunity to grow and develop significant skills.
Content creation and communications planning
- Develop new and engaging content to showcase our work including website articles, blogs, social media updates, case studies and other resources
- Delivery of the agreed communications plan for funded projects across the charity and input into the development of new plans where needed
- Support the Head of Fundraising in creating engaging digital fundraising campaigns to generate unrestricted income from individual supporters
- Help develop and maintain a portfolio of branded assets promoting our services and ensure team members have collateral when and where they need it
- Manage regular updates on our websites – adding news items, articles and any downloadable resources
- Report on Google analytics using the insight to inform website improvements and the social media strategy
Social media management
- Support to develop the creation of a sustainable social media strategy to implement across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram and any other suggested social media platforms
- Daily management of the charity’s multiple social media channels, creating original and engaging social media posts using graphics, film and photography and reactively engaging with our audiences
- Use analytics to report on results of digital campaigns, track monthly performance across channels to inform recommended future activity
- Manage and create engaging monthly newsletter campaigns for the charity’s audience and ambassadors, create analytics reports to improve future performance
- Draft press releases and news stories on a regular basis
- Undertake media monitoring, maintain press cutting folders that include potential audience reach data and archive of all media coverage
Internal comms and support
- Deal with day to day, ad hoc queries and be a contact person for communication related queries
Skills/ Knowledge/ Expertise
- Excellent digital skills, including experience of content management systems such as WordPress.
- Minimum two years’ experience in a marketing and communications/public relations/digital role and understanding of branding
- Understanding of the basic principles of search engine optimisation, experience of email marketing systems and social media tools
- Proven ability to effectively write and edit copy for different audiences
- Strong organisational and administrative skills including excellent attention to detail and effective time management
- Excellent proofreading, copywriting and editing skills
- Proven ability to upload videos to YouTube and create infographics
- Able to use and access design programmes
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with different individuals
- An articulate and confident communicator
- Demonstrable experience of managing a diverse workload; being able to prioritise tasks and work under pressure.
- Ability to learn procedures so the charity is compliant with relevant legislation
- Experience of working in the charity or education sector
- Passion for supporting young people in using physical activity to realise their potential
- An ability to analyse data
- Experience of working in a small team
- Understanding of risk management
- Experience of client relationship management databases
- Strong client facing aptitude and communication skills both written and verbal
- A “can-do” attitude and creative approach to a limited marketing budget
- Team Player: works collaboratively and flexibly to achieve outcomes and is keen to add value to the organisation’s culture and ethos
- Committed to the values and ethos of the organisation with a passion for the cause of the charity
- Respectful of diversity; sensitive toward others in their context, situation and challenges; pluralistic, open and understanding toward other people’s values, autonomy, and faiths demonstrates compassion and empathy; is courteous to others with respect for their situation, background, religion, gender and age
- Able to undertake some occasional work in the evenings and at weekends
- Able to travel in the UK if required
- Own professional indemnity insurance cover for £1,000,000 (copied required)
We are looking for an agile and enthusiastic individual, capable of absorbing key information quickly, as well as the ability to handle a diverse workload in order to meet the fast pace of the organisation. Fit4Life CIC is a small, ambitious charity working to bring about change. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with strong communication skills and work well with a small team who shares our passion for making a difference to the lives of young people in the most need.
Fit4Life CIC values having a diverse workforce. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals from all backgrounds.
Please send a CV and covering letter (no more than 2 pages of A4) setting out your interest in and suitability for the role and highlighting why you'd like to work for the charity.
The closing date for applications is 10am on Monday 28th September 2020. Successfully shortlisted candidates will be notified no later than Friday 2nd October 2020. Interviews will be arranged with successful candidates for either Thursday 8th or Friday 9th October 2020 and will take place via video call with the aim to start work Monday 19th October 2020 (depending on DBS clearance checks).
Please note we will only consider applications with both a CV and covering letter and applications will only be accepted from those with the right to work in the UK with a valid passport/visa.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered under any circumstances.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.