This is an incredible time to be joining FoodCycle. It’s our 10th year and in that time we have served 1 million meals to people who are hungry and lonely. We have 39 Projects around the country supported by an excellent team of Regional Managers who provide training to volunteers to ensure our meals are consistently served every week to vulnerable people.
The Head of Marketing leads on the development and implementation of the organisations communications and marketing strategy, driving forward an understanding of the work of FoodCycle and engaging supporter audiences though campaign delivery, digital communications, PR and marketing. You will lead a small team to create supporter journey marketing campaigns that raise awareness of our work, segment and build our communities, including the digital community and will help maximize our reach to both supporters and potential beneficiaries. You will have a passion for data to help both develop strategy and understand achievement.
You will work closely with teams across the charity to ensure that our marketing and communications needs are met and that we become known as charity that delivers innovative, engaging and effective campaigns and communications initiatives in support of our beneficiaries.
We provide flexible working hours and the opportunity to work from home.
Strategic Marketing and Communications Leadership
- Work with the CEO, Head of Fundraising and Head of Programmes to deliver a communications and marketing strategy for effective awareness of FoodCycle’s mission and purpose across the entire spectrum of communications disciplines including: digital and social media, print, public relations, celebrity/influencer management, internal communications and brand marketing
- Assess and analyse data across email, web, CRM, PPC and digital marketing data sets to help inform strategy and ensure marketing decisions are data-driven.
- To drive awareness through supporter engagement (volunteers and donors) achieving KPIs on annual volunteer numbers and financial donation targets
- Ensure the organisation engages with a diverse audience, ensuring all target audiences are communicated with regularly, positively and consistently measuring impact and effectiveness.
- Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications, PR goals and financial objectives
- Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to CEO and Trustee Board
- Develop and be responsible for short and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing/communications and PR programme and its activities.
- Act as brand guardian ensuring consistency across all internal and external communications
- Identify issues that could potentially damage the organisations reputation and recommend actions to mitigate this risk
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and PR, charity management and governance and use this information to help FoodCycle operate with initiative and innovation
Website and Social Media
- Take overall responsibility for the development and management of the website and workplace intranet including generating and directing the generation of content, overseeing improvements to, functionality, maximizing its potential and monitoring its performance
- Using UX and understanding key stakeholders, work with our agency to redesign our web-site using word-press to maximise our goals for fundraising, recruiting volunteers and enabling beneficiaries to find a meal.
- Maximise best use of Google Ads, particularly working with our agency to scale up spend and maintain efficiency as much as possible.
- Oversee FoodCycle’s social media presence, sourcing and sharing newsworthy content from both outside and within the organisation
- Recruit, train and build a team of social media volunteers from across all projects to help fulfil our goals both at a local and national level – developing training for webinars and our annual conference
- Ascertain best use of Facebook advertising
- Analyse the success of digital strategies using appropriate tools
Campaigns and communications
- Develop and implement a calendar of campaigns throughout the year to help FoodCycle demonstrate achievement of aims whilst heling us achieve other goals
- Oversee the copy for all newsletters published for various stakeholders
- Ensure all communications databases are relevant and up to date prior to scheduling any communication – either internally or externally
- Manage and lead on copy writing and production of marketing materials and key publications including impact reports and project literature
- Oversee the management and development of guest and volunteer surveys together with case study database
Publicity and Media
- Increase the organisation’s profile across media in particular local media and build relationship with influencers and organisations
- Develop a bank of spokespeople for the organisation including guests and volunteers
- Provide opportunities for the CEO to act as the spokesperson for the organisation
- Develop relationships with target media
- Write press articles and statements
- Respond to requests from the press for comments, views and supporting opportunities for further engagement on relevant topics
Managing health, safety and security
- Promote and ensure safe working for self and others by strict adherence to FoodCycle’s Safeguarding and Health and Safety policies
- To ensure that the charity’s fundraising and marketing activities comply with the Fundraising Code, as published by the Fundraising Regulator
- Ensure that security of sensitive information is maintained and complies with the requirements of GDPR
Digital Fundraising and Approach
- Work with Head of Fundraising to develop and deliver a digital fundraising strategy to maximise opportunities presented by digital to successfully engage with stakeholders and donors
- Capture all key information about relationships on salesforce to improve the quality of management information to drive income generation, engagement, mobilisation and improve decision making
Act as member of the Senior Management Team
- As part of the SMT, work in collaboration with the Chief Executive, Head of Fundraising and Head of Programmes to develop strategy for whole of FoodCycle so that our growth is financially sustainable.
- Accountable for the effective management of marketing expenditure including effective budget preparation, planning, monitoring and review
- Leadership, recruitment, development, retention and appraisal of staff in accordance with the standards set out in FoodCycle’s policies and procedures
- Provide reports, attend meetings advise and support the CEO and trustees to all matters relating to marketing.
- Represent FoodCycle at events and third party events including speaking as required.
- Build upon existing marketing, social media and communication policies ensuring the safety and well being of all stakeholders including guests, volunteers and donors
- To network effectively for FoodCycle within London and beyond as and when necessary
- Develop a broad knowledge and understanding of FoodCycle’s programmes and the wider sustainability agenda, to ensure key environmental and social issues can be expressed confidently in public.
- To lead by example and encourage all employees to conduct their activities in a similar manner to reflect the values of FoodCycle.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.