From Bernie Sanders to Greenpeace UK, progressive organisations are using digital mobilisation to activate hundreds of thousands of campaigners and raise millions of pounds online. Forward Action believes that a digital mobilisation model - where organisations use digital channels to drive hundreds of thousands of supporters to take advocacy, fundraising and volunteering actions - can revolutionize campaigning and fundraising in the NGO sector. We help progressive organisations build digital mobilisation programmes and, as a Digital Strategist, you will work with organisations to help them use a digital mobilisation model to drive real-world change.
You will be at the heart of our digital campaigns and fundraising work, managing projects and planning strategy to help our progressive clients hit their goals. If you’re passionate about making the world a better place, have a year or two’s experience in digital campaigning or fundraising and are well organised with good attention to detail, this job is for you.
This is a permanent role, with the freedom to work both in our London office and remotely anywhere in the UK (although during the pandemic, almost all of our team are working at home). You can work either four or five days per week.
We are committed to making sure Forward Action is an inclusive, diverse and anti-racist organisation. People from communities that experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; gender identity; age; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are actively and especially encouraged to apply.
Applications close on Thursday 3 February.
What you’ll do as part of our team
- Manage projects from conception through to build, with the support of a senior strategy lead. This will involve coordinating work from both our creative and development teams and keeping clients up to speed via email and video calls.
- Ensure all the projects you manage stay on deadline throughout
- Work with our senior strategy team to set project goals and overall strategic direction.
- Analyse data and test results and provide recommendations to clients
- Attend planning and project review meetings
- Take part in brainstorms to generate ideas to help clients hit their goals
Benefits and location
- Pro Rata Salary: £36,418 if you live inside London, £32,516 (plus £3,000 travel expense allowance) if you live outside London.
- Contract Term: This is a permanent contract. The role can be either full time or four days a week.
- Location: Primarily at home during the pandemic, with the opportunity to use our Hoxton office occasionally; post-pandemic, in our Hoxton office and/or working remotely. Ensuring our team is open to people who live outside London and enabling staff to work flexibly are important values to us, so everyone is able to work from home. Most of our meetings are held via video conferencing, but post-pandemic you may occasionally need to attend meetings with clients in London - once every two-to-three weeks on average.
- Holiday: 25 days/year (pro rata), plus bank holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year.
- Extra holiday for travelling sustainably: We’re a member of the Climate Perks scheme, so you’ll have an extra two days of holiday a year if you use them to travel by land or sea instead of taking a flight.
- Maternity and Paternity/Long-term partner parental leave: For a small organisation, we’re proud to have a generous and progressive parental leave policy. Maternity leave is 12 weeks at full pay, 14 weeks at 50% pay. Paternity/Long-term partner parental leave is 6 weeks at full pay.
- Period policy: We know that periods can have a big impact on people's wellbeing, and we're proud of our pioneering period policy to support people who menstruate. We encourage an open, positive and respectful conversation about periods in the workplace. Team members who menstruate can take one full day of leave each month where needed, without needing to tell their manager it’s because of their period. We have hot water bottles, tampons and pads, painkillers and chocolate available in the office.
- Working culture and hours: Our team is open, inclusive, friendly, respectful and kind.
- We work eight hour days (including a 30 minute lunch break), with core hours of 9:30am-4:30pm. We put a lot of importance on ensuring everyone finishes on time: while there are some times when you’ll need to stay a little later to finish work, people in the team rarely work more than 45-60 minutes late. No one ever works on weekends or their holidays.
Abilities and experience you’ll need to have
- 1.5+ years’ experience working in digital campaigning, fundraising or marketing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and juggling different priorities
- Excellent organisation and attention-to-detail
- Experience managing projects
- Enthusiasm for thinking creatively and coming up with new ideas
- Dedication to helping build a fairer, more progressive society
- Fluency in spoken and written English
We’re also looking for a quick learner. We don’t expect you to know or have done everything when you start - instead, we’ll be looking for you to pick up new skills and knowledge quickly, then run with them.
Abilities and experience that are nice to have
We know it’s not possible for any applicants to have all these skills - it’s likely you’ll be able to bring 3-4 of the following to our team:
- Experience planning supporter email journeys
- A solid understanding of online user experience (e.g. how to lay out a web page to improve conversion rates)
- Experience planning digital strategy to hit measurable goals
- Drafting and building emails, especially for fundraising
- Editing and providing feedback on written copy
- Drafting and setting up Facebook adverts
- Knowledge of how to plan a fair A/B experiment
- Experience working in the charity sector
- Experience working with designers
- Experience working at an agency
How to apply
To apply for this job, please complete the form by clicking the apply button.
To ensure our hiring process is as fair as possible, we run an anonymised application procedure. So please remove your name and contact information from your CV before uploading it, and only enter these details in the online form.
To apply, you will need to include:
- your CV (with name and contact details removed)
- up to 250 words explaining how you’re suited to the role and why you want this job
Applications close on Thursday 3 February.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a written online task from home - this can be any time that works for you between Friday 11th February and Sunday 13th Feburary. Based on the tasks, a small number of candidates will be asked to attend an interview via a video call during the week of 28 February.
Who we are
Forward Action is a digital mobilisation agency for progressive causes. We help our partner organisations reach new supporters, then mobilise them to become activists and donors. We have been in the engine room of some of the most successful election and charity digital campaigns of the last few years, helping our partners add millions of new supporters to their email lists, raise more money online (from more donors) and create campaigns that have led to real-world change.
Our values are critical to us: we will only work with causes that make the world a better place. You will get to work with some of the most inspiring and impactful organisations in the sector - such as Greenpeace, Cancer Research UK, and Refuge - and spend your days helping win progress on everything from climate change to homelessness.
You will be working at the cutting edge of digital mobilisation. We trust in data rather than our gut instincts, so we are constantly testing and iterating in our work in order to challenge assumptions and drive better results. We are an agile, fast-moving team, and you will have the opportunity to rapidly develop and expand your skills and experience.
One of our fundamental values is that all our work should drive real-world, measurable results. But we also believe that the greatest progressive impact we can have is to give our partner organisations the skills, knowledge and culture they need to do what we do themselves. We want to spread our skills and way of working across the progressive sector, not make our partners dependent on us. You will play a key role in this in your job.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.