This is a key position based at FIND HQ in Geneva – Switzerland and will require some travel.
FIND is the Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics. We are a global non-profit organization driving innovation in the development and delivery of diagnostics to combat major diseases affecting the world’s poorest populations.
As our new Head of External Relations (Resource Mobilization), you will implement FIND’s resource mobilization strategy to engage funding from public and private donors. This strategy is developed by the CEO in close collaboration with the Director of External Affairs, with your input
You will ensure that both funding needs and opportunities for funding sources – over the short and long term - are identified, relayed, and discussed regularly with FIND’s leadership.
You report directly to Director of External Affairs.
You supervise a small team in Geneva and elsewhere, including consultants.
You will be interacting with:
- The Scientific teams (CSO and Heads of Programmes) and Access Department (CAO and Access team, including Regional Offices) to understand strategies, projects, and funding needs; and to oversee development of project proposals, updates, and reports.
- Finance & Operations Departments to deliver donor financial reports and to coordinate on fundraising legal requirements.
- Communications team for messaging in support of resource mobilization.
- Board of Directors; Scientific Advisory Council (SAC); CEO; founding partners to identify new opportunities and open doors.
- Public and private donors.
Resource Mobilization Strategy and Planning
- Coordinate all Resource Mobilization activities, provide monthly fundraising reporting on all activities.
- Work in close partnership with the CEO and the Director of External Affairs to develop a comprehensive Resources Mobilization strategy
- Develop the annual Resource Mobilization goals with the Director of External Affairs and ensure timely implementation
- Implement and manage all aspects of the Resource Mobilization goals with the team in Geneva and analyze progress towards all fundraising targets.
- Oversee research (in-house and/or outsource) to identify public, private, and major donor prospects, and develop a plan to maximize their giving
- Seek and cultivate relationships with new donors, including face-to-face meetings, to present FIND and its projects (either alone or with appropriate support) and secure their support
- Oversee the development and submission of high-quality proposals in a timely fashion, conferring with all relevant stakeholders both within and outside of FIND
- Track and pursue opportunities and potential new financial mechanisms
Ensure relationships with donors and prospects
- Manage relationships with governments, foundations, and major donors
- Ensure that donors are aware of any significant developments at FIND through regular updates and communication, including face-to-face meetings
- Supervise and set policies for record keeping for all donors and donations/grants
Manage Resource Mobilization team
- Manage a small team and consultants hired for specific implementation plans managed from Geneva.
- You have at least 10 years’ experience in senior fundraising activities and management ideally in a health or an international research organisation
- You have a solid understanding of the funding landscape and can identify and pursue strategic opportunities
- You are great at handling donor meetings and you have a solid network of relationships with public and private donors
- Your track record shows you have raised significant levels of public funds from governments, regional and local institutions
- You have a university degree in public health, business management, or marketing, or equivalent
- You are a go-getter and a deal closer – a doer!
- You have all the basic IT skills required
- You are good with people and can bring out the best in your staff
- Your English is excellent (written and spoken), and you have excellent proposal writing skills and experience
You can travel up to 10% of time for market research, regional fundraising establishment, donor meetings, donor field visits, FIND scientific meetings & conferences.