Fourth Monkey is recruiting for a Marketing & Communications Manager to join its dynamic staff team. The successful candidate will play a vital role in helping Fourth Monkey achieve its organisational objectives, ensuring we’re reaching out to new audiences and participants; both in the UK and Internationally.
It’s an exciting time to be joining the Fourth Monkey team, as 2020 marks our 10-year anniversary. We have a new partnership to announce with an established University, making our training courses fully accredited by Sept 2020. We also have a new Ensemble show in production, touring in 2020 and a series of arts-based community engagement projects launching, so we have a lot to be communicating.
This job pack contains full details in relation to the job role and the job specification, we ask candidates to please read all the information carefully before applying.
Role Profile and Terms of Employment
Job Title: Marketing and Communications Manager
Contract: Permanent, full-time
Hours of Work: Fourth Monkey works to a 40-hour working week. Standard office hours are 9am - 5.30pm, but there may be some requirement to work outside of these hours.
Place of Work: The Monkey House, 97-101 Seven Sisters Road, London, N7 7QP
Reporting To: Executive Director
Line Management Responsibility: None
Annual Leave: Annual leave is 20 days per year, plus 8 paid bank holidays (28 days in total).
Pension: All staff will be automatically enrolled into a work Pension Scheme as part of our requirement to meet automatic enrolment legislation.
Probationary Period: All new employees will be required to undertake a period of probation for six months.
Flexible Working: After 26 weeks continuous service, Fourth Monkey will consider applications for flexible working arrangements. Fourth Monkey will enable as many jobs to be open to job sharing as is operationally practical
About Fourth Monkey
Fourth Monkey is both an actor training school and producing theatre company. It was established in summer 2010 and is a registered UK charity. It was the UK’s first ever repertory training company - inspired by luminaries such as Judi Dench and Derek Jacobi, who lamented the decline of the repertory scene; the scene where they learned some of the most important lessons of their trade.
Our student in training get a very real sense of what it is to be an actor, throughout their training they live and work as part of a performing company, developing the emotional depth and personal resilience needed to succeed in the industry.
At the same time, our professional touring company, The Monkey Ensemble, gives graduates the opportunity to profile themselves to the broader industry, whilst producing challenging contemporary work.
The organisation has grown rapidly over the last 9 years. In 2015 we moved into a specially renovated site in Finsbury Park, North London, with extensive rehearsal, training and studio space, student facilities, offices and meeting space.
Our vision is to create societal and cultural change through performance and training excellence. It speaks to our values, the things that we think are important.
Our mission is to revolutionise the arts through innovative actor training, performance excellence and collaboration.
Our Strategic Objectives are:
1. To create fearless actors from the broadest of backgrounds; with the commitment, professionalism and practical skills to succeed
2. To provide an accessible, sustainable and mutually beneficial development and career long support structure for our alumni
3. To produce high profile, ground breaking theatre that not only provides a stage for our actors, but also challenges the status quo
4. To create, advocate and engage in cultural and social change through partnership and collaboration
5. To develop and maintain a sustainable infrastructure - a stable platform from which to achieve our mission
- We are looking for an experienced and dynamic Marketing and Communications Manager who will be responsible for creating, leading and delivering on our marketing strategy, design and promotion of Fourth Monkey works streams
- The candidate must have the ability to hit the ground running and be able to conceive, implement and execute a robust marketing plan for the company
- The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic, proactive and creative marketer, with previous experience of working across the full marketing and communications spectrum in order to inform how to promote our courses, develop Fourth Monkey’s brand and public profile, and grow our audiences across our productions
- The candidate should be able to effectively manage campaigns through from concept to delivery, whilst working both collaboratively as part of a team and independently, and often to multiple competing deadlines
- The main focus of the role will be on increasing and broadening commercial income streams through the promotion of our training courses and room hires programme
- Must have excellent communication skills
- The post holder will also play a central role in enabling Fourth Monkey to develop its media profile, communicate more effectively with its alumni & other key stakeholders, build its brand and establish a strong digital presence
- This role would suit a confident individual with a broad base of marketing and communication skills looking to work within a supportive and collaborative working environment
Strategy and Planning
- Create and deliver an evidence based, measurable marketing strategy
- Run effective campaigns to meet recruitment and income targets for Fourth Monkey’s full-time and short courses, productions, studio hire and other commercial activities
- Report on progress against marketing and communication targets
- Work with staff across the organisation to create and maintain a culture that is supportive of marketing and communications
- Driving audition volumes with particular attention to engaging new students from non-traditional theatre backgrounds
- Create rich, shareable content for use across all of Fourth Monkey’s digital platforms, including social media and the Fourth Monkey website, and for third-parties as required
- Lead on the production of all printed marketing materials, ensuring they meet the highest standards and communicate Fourth Monkey’s brand values
- Reaching out to creative and community organisations to drive room hires
- Promoting Fourth Monkey’s productions to new audiences
- Driving engagement in Fourth Monkey’s community and participatory arts programmes
- Marketing to support Box Office generation
- Using analytics to continually revise the marketing strategy
Communications and Media
- Ensuring effective communications with Fourth Monkey stakeholders through newsletters and management of the organisational database
- Ensure all appropriate commercial messages are integrated into marketing communications to present a holistic view of the Fourth Monkey offer
- Identify, install and maintain an organisational CRM
- Coordinating communications across Fourth Monkey’s alumni programme
- Establishing and developing Fourth Monkey’s digital presence via the Fourth Monkey website and through social media
- Developing relationships with print and broadcast media and writing regular press releases
- In liaison with the Executive Director, to set the annual marketing budget
- To control the marketing budget to ensure that resources are managed as effectively as possible
- To monitor and record booking patterns to inform strategy
- To report monthly on financial performance of department
- Take responsibility for the day-to-day management of individual campaign budgets, ensuring all budget tracking documentation is accurate and up to date
- Developing and maintaining a strong organisational brand and brand guidelines that reflect the organisation’s mission, vision and values
- Raising the profile of Fourth Monkey across key stakeholders
• Adhere to Fourth Monkey’s policies and procedures, working within the wider protocols and maintaining good liaison with other teams across the organisation
• Be an ambassador for Fourth Monkey at public-facing events and in all dealings with partners, funders, wider stakeholders and the general public
• Champion the Fourth Monkey brand, messages, and communications initiatives to raise the profile and impact of Fourth Monkey
• Deputise for the Executive Director in their absence
• Ensure the effective delivery of the Fourth Monkey Strategic Plan and the Fourth Monkey Strategic Objectives
• Maintain good liaison with all teams across the organisation
• Support fellow staff and provide internal mentoring and training to others where appropriate
• Undertake other duties from time to time, as requested by the Executive Director and/or Chief Executive
• At least 3 years’ experience of working in a marketing and/or communications role at management level, ideally within an arts or education organisation
• Educated to degree level, or relevant qualification
• Extensive copywriting experience
• Experience working with designers and printers
• Familiarity with customer relationship management (CRM) systems
• Demonstrative rigour in research and analytic techniques
• Experience of budget-holding
• Ability to use appropriate software to design on and offline content and collateral
• Ability to manage own time, multitask and work to competing deadlines
• Graphic Design Skills (desirable)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent proofreading skills and attention to detail
• Excellent planning and organisational skills which support the ability to work on a number of projects or activities simultaneously
• Able to use digital marketing techniques
Knowledge and Understanding
• Knowledge of the print and production process
• Understanding of email and digital marketing
• Understanding of how to build and maintain a strong and consistent brand
• Understanding of how to use social media to raise profile and reach out to new audiences and markets
• Understanding of the media and how to build media profile
• Knowledge of key arts networks and competitors
• An understanding of, and interest in, the work of Fourth Monkey
• Creative, visually-minded, rigorous eye for detail
• Well motivated, target-orientated and results driven
• Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work as part of a small team and on one’s own initiative
• Flexibility within a changing environment
In return we offer incentives, rewards and benefits via the Perkbox platform, access to a cycle to work scheme and discounted rail travel.
Candidate Application Information
Guidance for submission
- Please send an up to date CV including contact details of two referees.
Note: - we will not take up references before short-listing nor without your express consent.
- Your cover letter should be used to tell us how you think you meet the requirements laid out in the person specification. Draw particular attention to experience, skills, achievements and knowledge gainedin past employment or other activities which are relevant to the job and give examples to support what you say.
- Ensure your covering letteris no more than 2 pages long (2 sides of A4).
- A completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring form (appendix 1)
Applications should be submitted no later than 30th August 2019. Any applications arriving after this deadline will not be considered for shortlisting unless there are exceptional reasons.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview on 13th September 2019.
If invited to interview, you will be asked to prepare and deliver a presentation, perform some tasks designed to test your suitability for the role and answer a series of questions. When answering these questions you should always seek to substantiate your response with examples from your own experience. You should allow approximately 1.5 hours for the whole interview process.
We regret that we will not be able to acknowledge receipt of all applications as we are a small team. If you do not hear from us within four weeks of the closing date please assume that you have not been shortlisted.
Candidates with disabilities and special needs
Please tell us if there are any reasonable adjustments, we can make to assist you in your application.
If you have a disability which you would like us to take into account, please tell us about this when you apply. Please let us know if we can help and remember that you can request information in large print or in a different format if required.
We endeavour to make all reasonable adjustments to accommodate disabled members of staff to ensure that the work place is an accessible and inclusive environment
It is central to the core beliefs and objectives of Fourth Monkey to recognise and encourage the valuable and enriching contribution that people from all backgrounds and experiences bring to the organisation. We believe that all individuals should be treated on the basis of merit and without prejudice. Fourth Monkey therefore, aims to provide an environment that actively promotes equality of opportunity and freedom from discrimination on grounds of age, cultural background, class, disability, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, faith, part-time worker, language, and an individual’s health status.
Fourth Monkey believes in fairness and equity, and values diversity in all its dealings as an employer. Fourth Monkey aims to embed its equality and diversity values into every day practice, policies and procedures so that equality and diversity becomes the norm for all.
Fourth Monkey is made up of people who represent the diversity in our community. We recognise, respect and value that diversity and will strive in all we do to serve the interests of all of our staff.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.