Trustee who is a refugee
Freedom from Torture is dedicated to healing and protecting people who have survived torture. We provide therapies to improve physical and mental health, we medically document torture, and we provide legal and welfare help. We expose torture globally, we fight to hold torturing states to account and we campaign for fairer treatment of torture survivors in the UK.
We know that increased representation on our Board of people who share the experiences of the torture survivors we support will help us to:
· Ensure all our strategic and policy decisions are rooted in the lived experience of survivors;
· Be more accountable to the people we serve;
· Honour our commitment to ensuring stronger survivor voices in our governance and management, so that survivors help to set our direction of travel; and
· Challenge structural inequality and promote anti-racism in society and within our own charity.
Our Board already includes one survivor of torture who has lived experience of our services and we are seeking to build on this by recruiting a second trustee with lived experience of the asylum system, whether as a survivor of torture or other type of persecution.
As a trustee, you will be joining at an exciting time as we rollout our radical new rehabilitation model, including services that are co-designed and co-delivered with survivors, and work to promote lived experience leadership in the fight against torture and for the rights of survivors.
This is an opportunity to help shape and steer Freedom from Torture, and to support and make a real difference to torture survivors and our committed community of staff, volunteers and supporters.
You need to have first-hand experience of the UK asylum system and a commitment to our vision of a world free from torture and our core values of compassion, empowerment, hope and resolve.
· Trustees are volunteers who use their knowledge, skills and experience to guide the charity for the benefit torture survivors.
· You will be required to attend four Board meetings, four Committee meetings and occasional Board away days each year.
· Travel expenses and any child care costs will be reimbursed.
· You will be given a full induction, mentoring and ongoing support.
For more information about Freedom from Torture, please look at our website using the link provided and where you will also be able to view the application page on the job link.
To apply, you will need to submit a CV and cover letter which explains how you meet the requirements of the role and state why you wish to be a Trustee at Freedom from Torture.
Freedom from Torture is committed to exemplary safeguarding practice and we require an enhanced DBS check for this role.
Freedom from Torture is an Equal Opportunities Employer.