Temwa is looking for a Fundraising & Communications Manager to provide leadership and growth to our fundraising department.
The successful candidate will need to be experienced, confident and honest, with a passion for international development. The position will have a £30K basic package, with performance-related pay to bring on-target earnings up to £35K pro-rata.
The Fundraising & Communications Manager’s specific role will include: managing expansion of corporate fundraising; overseeing the team who manage the fundraising events; overseeing the team who manage trust fundraising grant applications; day-to-day management of the UK fundraising office; creating an updated fundraising strategy; planning and forecasting fundraising activities; oversight of communications, marketing & promotion of fundraising activities and events; growing and developing the current fundraising programme; and working with the communications team to provide information to them for further marketing and PR.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to use their expertise to expand the income for a dynamic and growing international development charity, as well as to grow the profile of an innovative organisation working in Northern Malawi.
1) Managing the fundraising strategy and donor relations:
- Develop, implement, monitor, evaluate, and be accountable for Temwa’s income generation, through the development of the fundraising strategy, ensuring targets are achieved.
- Confirm the fundraising strategy matches with the communications and marketing strategy.
- Act as the organisational expert on all income generation, supporting to the team to expand all relevant fundraising streams in the long term.
- Ensure that Temwa maintains its current income streams, which currently primarily includes trust fundraising and event fundraising, with a smaller amount of corporate funding and regular giving.
- Ensure that all income generation is undertaken in an effective and efficient way, maximising return on investment.
- Maintain oversight of current donors and their specific requirements.
- Work closely with Programme Development Manager to align community needs with donor priorities when developing programmes.
- Manage donor relations and communication together with the Managing Director, Programme Development Manager and UK fundraising team.
- Contribute to donor reporting, circulate donor reports, and collaborate with Programme Development Manager to ensure programmes yield donor-relevant impacts.
- Support the implementation and coordination of the organisation’s annual planning cycle.
2) Providing leadership to and managing the fundraising team:
- Develop, coach, inspire and motivate the whole team to deliver their objectives and develop their own skills and expertise in their roles, providing ongoing guidance and support.
- Hold regular one-to-ones with direct line reports, ensuring effective management of the entire team, with a robust and timely system of appraisals and performance management.
- Ensure every member of the team has clear work plans, understands their objectives and works in a focused way.
- Champion best practice, ensuring that all legal standards and compliance standards are not only met but exceeded throughout all fundraising and marketing activities.
- Recruit key fundraising team members.
- Support the Communications & Fundraising Coordinator to ensure that they are designing and managing effective marketing & communications that support fundraising efforts.
- Communicate effectively both internally and externally, ensuring a flow of communication across the organisation, and sharing information, success and good practice.
3) Managing expansion of corporate sponsorship:
- Develop and implement a strategy for increasing corporate fundraising.
- Make sure the strategy is followed, to ensure increased income in this area.
- Grow and develop SME and corporate partners for Temwa.
- Act as a key external spokesperson, and play an active role in building the organisation’s profile locally and nationally.
4) Growing income streams:
- Develop, manage and lead all fundraising areas in the UK office, ensuring that they reach their targets.
- Develop, manage and evaluate comprehensive budgets which provide performance information for the Senior Management team and Trustees, ensuring there is shared ownership of budgets within fundraising team.
- Ensure that the team is effectively managing the donor journey for all contacts in Temwa.
- Research and develop business cases for new areas of income generation aimed to drive sustainability of income both within current fundraising streams and beyond.
- Manage the implementation of new income generation projects and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Play an active role with the charity’s most significant supporters, ensuring that excellent relationships are cultivated and maintained and effective asks are made, ultimately maximising income.
- Adhere to best practice within income generation and embed a culture of learning within the organisation.
5) Senior Management:
- Work with senior colleagues to ensure that Temwa can reach all key audiences to successfully achieve its strategic goals.
- Provide strategic direction to all areas of fundraising, nurturing team members (senior and junior) to develop knowledge and expertise, developing a solution-focused approach to all work.
- Ensure all parts of the organisation understand income generation and fundraising.
- Represent Temwa externally.
- Provide advice and guidance to senior colleagues and trustees.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, play an active and integral role in updating the organisation’s strategic plan and helping to shape the future direction of the charity.
6) Policies & Procedures:
- Work on relevant policies for the organisation.
- Look at systems used and suggest improvements.
- Create procedures that will improve the efficiency of all our fundraising activities.
Experience, qualifications and requirements:
- Experience of working in a senior fundraising role essential
- Certificate or diploma from IoF essential
- Track record of setting and achieving fundraising income targets essential
- Experience of managing people essential
- Experience of working within small and large NGOs or charities essential
- Ability to write compelling bids/business cases and reports essential
- An understanding of trust fundraising essential
- Excellent written and communication skills essential
- Experience of marketing and communications essential
- Experience of leading and managing fundraising departments desirable
- Experience of working within an international development charity desirable
- Experience of working with websites desirable
Temwa was registered as a UK charity in December 2003 and currently employs 36 full time members of staff in Malawi, with a Managing Director, Programmes Development Manager, Trust Fundraising Coordinator, Events Coordinator, and Communications & Fundraising Coordinator in the UK, who are supported by a team of part time interns and volunteers. The Fundraising & Communications Manager will manage a team comprising the Events Coordinator (part time), Trust Fundraising Coordinator (part time) and Communications & Fundraising Coordinator (full time), along with a Finance & Admin Officer (part time).
We believe the Fundraising & Communications Manager role will provide an interesting, rewarding and challenging opportunity in a small, dynamic and not always conventional organisation. As a rapidly growing NGO, working as a key part of the UK team will give you a pivotal role in the organisation’s ongoing development. As the Fundraising & Communications Manager, you will have the opportunity to put your previous experience into great use, directly seeing the benefit of the work undertaken in the UK and how it supports our life-saving and life-changing projects in Malawi.
Please apply with a CV (2 page maximum) and covering letter (2 page maximum).
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.