The Unitarian movement is seeking a Finance Assistant to support the effective operations of the head office of this free-thinking, open-minded, welcoming faith group – known as the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches (GAUFCC). Unitarians seek wisdom from all sources, rational and mystic, secular and religious. We don’t believe that there is only a single spiritual path, but help each other find the path that is right for each of us, in community.
The role will be a mix of work based at our central London office, with some home-working (particularly in light of the coronavirus pandemic).
The purpose of this role is to provide administrative and financial processing support in the Finance team. The Finance Assistant will work closely with the Finance Manager, providing support through the accounts payable process, ensuring that invoices and staff and volunteer expenses are paid on a timely basis, ensuring that accounting transactions are prepared and entered accurately in the Aqilla accounting system and generally support the Finance team in achieving its objectives.
These duties and responsibilities apply to the GAUFCC and the related charitable bodies based at Essex Hall
- Processing invoices and staff and volunteer expenses, ensuring proper authorisation in place
- Ensuring that suppliers, volunteer expenses, HMRC and key partners are paid on a timely basis
- Liaising with the administrator to ensure that the charity's income is accurately recorded on CiViCRM (database) and Aqilla accounting system
- Preparing regular bank reconciliations
- Providing information for, and assisting with cashflow forecasts
- Accurate posting of transactions in the accounting system
- Reconciling annual Quota income
- Raising Quota invoices
- Banking of cheque and cash receipts
- Assisting with Gift Aid administration, and processing Gift Aid claims on donations online from HMRC
- Assisting with payroll as directed
- Maintaining key balance sheet reconciliations
- Managing the “Unitarian finance” mailbox and ensuring that all queries are dealt with promptly and relevant documentation is filed.
- Filing of all accounting documents
- Maintaining high standard working papers as agreed with Finance Manager
- Carrying out key balance sheet reconciliations as directed by the Finance Manager and follow up as appropriate.
- Preparing ad hoc reports or analyses as directed by the Finance Manager
- Assisting budget holders with relevant financial information as may be required
- Supporting the Finance Manager in the preparation of management accounts
- Work with the Finance Manager to define and implement improved systems and processes for financial management and reporting
- Contributing to the development of a fully digitised and effective finance function
Skills and experience
- AAT qualified or part-qualified CCAB accountant.
- Minimum two years’ experience in a similar role.
- Have experience of working in the charity sector
- Experience of using a computerised accounting package(s).
- Strong MS Office skills in Excel, Word and Outlook
- Excellent written and spoken (face to face and phone) communication skills.
- Experience of Aqilla and /or CiViCRM would be desirable, but not essential.
- Experienced or involved in implementing change in systems and processes
- Able to work methodically, under own initiative and with minimal supervision.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Self-motivated and with a hands on approach
- Ability to work unsupervised. The ideal candidate will be well motivated and able to meet reasonable deadlines
- Ability to prioritise and deal effectively with a busy workload
- A wish to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of work processes.
- Sympathetic to the values of the GAUFCC and the Unitarian movement
We want to hear from all interested candidates, and to be considered for the position you must submit a covering letter (max. of two sides) along with your CV, outlining why you're right for the role. Your covering letter should show how you meet the role requirements, how you meet the personal specification and why you want the job.
Deadline for applications: 12.00pm Monday 31August. Applicants will only be contacted if they have been shortlisted for interview. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Friday 4th September
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.