Are you an experienced policy professional looking for a new challenge? We are looking for someone to help lead an exciting and varied programme of work in medical regulation.
The GMC helps to protect patients and improve medical education and practice in the UK by setting standards for students and doctors. We support them in achieving and exceeding those standards, and take action when they are not met.
The role of the Regulation Policy Team (RPT) is to lead the GMC’s development of policy with cross-organisational implications; support the organisation to reach a more coordinated approach to the application of policy and the development of our regulatory model and regulatory reform; and manage our interactions with major public inquiries affecting professional regulation.
This is a changing and challenging policy environment in which you will need to be able to understand complex policy and political issues, and their implications for how we regulate. As one of two Heads of Section within RPT your main responsibilities will be to:
- Lead the GMC’s work on managing our engagement with reviews and public inquiries
- Lead a number of major policy portfolios within the team
- Jointly lead and oversee the team’s management and communication structures.
Essential skills and experience include:
- Excellent leadership and staff management skills, with an ability to motivate and lead staff within a dynamic, changing environment
- An ability to lead policy change in a complex and sensitive political environment, working within statutory frameworks and legal and procedural requirements
- An ability to engage and influence colleagues at all levels, and key external stakeholders, including developing and managing relationships and networking effectively
By working at the GMC, you will receive a generous pension scheme with a 15% employer contribution, private medical insurance and numerous discounts from eating out, travel and annual gym memberships.
We champion internal growth and development by providing great career opportunities to progress and advance. Working with your line manager, you’ll create a personal development plan to support you with enhancing your skills to hit your goals. We also offer coaching, workshops and online learning on everything from people manager essentials to managing your health and wellbeing.
The GMC strongly believes that diversity in backgrounds and experiences contributes to a broader perspective that consistently leads to us being a better regulator. We have made a public commitment to processes and procedures that are fair, objective, transparent and free from discrimination.
The GMC is a charity registered in England and Wales (1089278) and Scotland (SC037750).