About the GOC
We are the regulator for the optical professions in the UK. We currently register approximately 30,000 optometrists, dispensing opticians, student opticians and optical businesses. Our purpose is to protect the public by promoting high standards of education, conduct and performance amongst opticians.
About the role
We are looking for a Governance Officer to provide effective governance and compliance support to ensure the GOC meets its statutory obligations.
- Provide governance support for committee meetings, including forward planning, support on advice on delegated decision-making authority and conflicts management, agenda and paper development, and drafting of accurate minutes and actions to ensure effective decision making within the established governance framework.
- Assist in providing information, support, advice and guidance to staff in relation to the planning and drafting of papers, corporate policies and the completion of impact assessments.
- Support the development, review and implementation of governance and compliance policies including, management of interest, corporate complaints, gifts and hospitality and financial crime, including the drafting and presenting of papers.
- Support the provision up-to-date advice, guidance, induction and training to staff and members on the GOC’s statutory responsibilities and governance and compliance policies to ensure consistency across the organisation with agreed frameworks.
- Work with the Governance and Compliance team to support other compliance activity, including:
- the corporate complaints process, including; delivery of actions to ensure compliance, undertaking investigations, coordinating responses, compiling statistics and drafting reports;
- the corporate policy review process, including; scheduling reviews, supporting staff with the review of policies, completion of impact assessments, conversion into the policy template, updating into plain English and creating process flow charts
- Keep up to date with current legislation, best practice and innovation (particularly in the regulatory sector), including engagement both internally and externally, and translate this knowledge to suggest changes to GOC’s governance and compliance practices.
- Arrange meetings, induction and development sessions, including room bookings, equipment and catering; liaising with attendees and facilitators on draft agendas; copying and posting Council and committee papers and occasionally taking basic minutes.
- Provide administration support for the corporate complaints and corporate policy review processes.
- Good coordination, organisational and planning skills, and the ability to prioritise workload.
- Experience of (any/all): governance, committees support, recruitment, and equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- High levels of numeracy and preparing minutes for complex matters.
- Advanced MS office skills as appropriate to the role e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Regulatory experience (Desirable).
Salary range: £29,327 to £34,503 – Dependent on experience
Closing date: 12pm Friday 7th February 2020
Interview date(s): 13th February 2020
We are committed to ensuring that in exercising all of our functions we operate in a fair and transparent manner and in a way that is free from discrimination, harassment and victimisation. Within all of our functions, we are committed to promoting equality; valuing diversity; being inclusive; and meeting our equality duties. We will not discriminate on age; disability; gender reassignment; race/ethnicity; religion or belief; gender; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; and pregnancy and maternity.
How to apply
Please follow the instructions on our website on how to apply.
Please note your application will not be processed without the following;
- Your CV (up to three A4 pages)
- Your covering letter (up to two A4 Pages)
We would also appreciate it if you would submit your monitoring form (which will be held confidentially by HR, used only for the purposes of monitoring our recruitment processes, and will not be shared with anyone involved in the selection process). Please be advised it is not compulsory to complete this form. For more information about our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion please see our EDI Strategy on our website.
For further information on any of the information above, please visit our website.
Alternative formats are available on request.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.