Who We Are
Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives
We’re a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in the places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create for young people in ways they love and interact with. And it's all delivered through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
Context of Role
As Girl Effect increases the scale of its reach and impact, we also aim to grow our investment and funding further. The Development team is responsible for Girl Effect's fundraising and partner relations, working closely with Girl Effect's CEO to manage our income strategy and fundraising.
Girl Effect is unique in the sector and has a blended funding model that goes beyond charitable revenue. You should have experience of high-level fundraising from a mix of bilateral donors and large foundations. As part of your role, you will secure, develop and manage a portfolio of key supporter relationships.
Critical to your success will be your ability to communicate and influence through compelling, sophisticated and technically excellent proposals, business cases and funding bids. You will have the credibility to grow Girl Effect’s network while also helping to establish a culture of fundraising within the organisation. In addition to communication and relationship skills, an ability to work in an international, diverse and fast-paced organisation is crucial.
What You’ll Do
- Create and participate in consortia with NGO partners to apply for major donor funding
- Liaise with key contacts across the organisation sourcing information, case studies, programme updates etc. for use in funding bids and ensure timely and accurate bid preparation
- Work closely with the Programme team in the design of new projects/programmes for potential partners
- Ensure high quality communications with partners, including supporting the development and sign off of key proposals and reports
- Lead on the development and implementation of new prospecting plans, keeping abreast of sector trends to maximise opportunities for Girl Effect
- Keep abreast of key fundraising trends and issues, and the regulatory environment around fundraising from institutional donors covered by the team’s remit, and ensure that standards are set, procedures followed and issues acted upon
Relationship building and management – internal and external
- Work with Girl Effect partners, acting as a senior representative to enhance and amplify key relationships
- Support facilitation of fundraising engagement from staff across the organisation
Strategy, planning and reporting
- Provide direction to the Development team around institutional (bilateral and key foundations) fundraising
- Monitor results across the team and ensure that regular reports of key metrics and results are provided to Girl Effect’s Senior Leadership.
- Develop bi-annual and annual reports for funders
Who You Are
- Extensive experience of high level fundraising and partnership development, in an international development context, within a global charity or foundation
- Extensive expertise working with key bilaterals such as: DFID, DFAT, Global Affairs Canada, Sida, and other major government funders.
- Ability to put together and develop high level funding bids
- A proven track record of developing relationships to mutual benefit and securing new partners/funding
- Demonstrable achievement of financial results
- Good awareness of global fundraising trends
- A strong commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
- Effective communicator at a senior level,written and verbal
- Working knowledge of fundraising databases and systems
- Financially literate
- A positive and solution-oriented strategic thinker
- A collaborative problem-solver, able to work flexibly as part of a global team in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, able to manage conflict and handle sensitive issues, particularly in cross-cultural and cross-departmental contexts
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow - we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our safeguarding policy. We encourage candidates to read and understand our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found here. We have zero tolerance to all forms of violence against children, beneficiaries and staff.
This role is being recruited on a 12 month fixed term contract basis - maternity cover.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.