Global Canopy is looking for a Part Time/Flexible Finance Sector Communications Lead to support sustainability and stop deforestation by leading the development and implementation of our Finance Sector communications and marketing strategy
Global Canopy brings unprecedented transparency to the supply chains of commodities that drive the majority of deforestation worldwide – and to the trillions of dollars in investment and lending that finance them.
Our work with the finance sector
We produce powerful new data and insights for the finance sector and for other key players working towards a more sustainable financial system. We identify sustainability risks and opportunities for financial institutions, and assess their progress against global sustainability targets.
What we do:
- We produce innovative and open data on finance sector impacts and dependencies on nature, supporting the business case for action and improving transparency and accountability for all.
- We enable leading financial institutions to identify and better manage deforestation and other natural capital risks in their loan and investment portfolios.
- We work directly and indirectly with investors and international and regional banks to better understand their data needs and to help them to integrate our tools and data into their decision-making processes.
- We assess the policies and performance of key financial institutions against their sustainability targets, and produce reports on progress of the sector as a whole.
We collaborate with a range of public, private and civil society networks to promote policy development and drive the transition towards a more sustainable financial system.
The role: Finance sector communications lead
Drawing on our unique deforestation and natural capital data, and working closely with our finance and research teams, you will:
- Lead the development and implementation of Global Canopy’s finance sector communications and marketing strategy.
- Lead on media engagement and management across the finance programme; identifying targets, building relationships and converting potential opportunities to raise awareness of our work and drive impact.
- Develop key messages to ensure our unique data is understood and used by third parties to achieve change.
- Write and create content that maximises the reach of our data through innovative methods.
- Plan and implement effective communications around key external events.
- Develop relationships with stakeholders and develop the finance programme’s network of influencers and decision-makers.
- Work with the wider communications team to support Global Canopy’s mission.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of your work and key pieces of content.
To be successful in this role, these are the things that will matter most:
Skills & Experience:
- Adept at developing communications strategies.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate complex ideas.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and experience producing a range of media materials.
- Previous experience engaging financial sector media.
- Understanding of environmental and sustainability issues.
- Experience of working in multiple teams, with externals partners, and with a range of stakeholders.
- Independent thinker with team orientation, who owns tasks and is accountable to colleagues.
- Effective communicator with emotional intelligence.
- Action-oriented and pragmatic problem solver.
- Able to work effectively to tight deadlines.
- Strong university degree
We actively seek applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
Salary and Benefits
Nature of contract
Part time 3 days/week, We are a flexible employer and welcome candidates wishing to work flexibly.
Home-based until Covid-19 restrictions lift. Then at least one day a week in Global Canopy’s office in central Oxford, with flexibility on which days and remote working.
28 days holiday plus bank holidays and the option to buy up to the maximum of 5 additional days for a full time member of staff. Pro rata to 60% for this 3 day/week role
Employer pension contribution of 5%.
Healthcare cashback plan
Covering dental fees, eye-care, wellbeing, massages, physio, chiropody and much more – for you and any children.
Employee Assistance Programme
Which provides free, confidential advice on personal and legal matters.
Huge range of discounts and cashback deals at gyms, restaurants, holidays, and much more.
How to apply
Please read the full job-pack available to download from the Global Canopy website before you apply
To submit your application, send an up-to date CV and covering letter.
The covering letter should explain your motivation for the role, and how your skills and experience fit the person specification. (Please no more than 2 sides A4, mentioning where you first saw the role advertised).
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 2nd June 2020 at 9am (UK time)
Interviews are provisionally planned for Tuesday 9th June.
Interviews will be conducted remotely via a video call.
Please note that COVID-19 will not impact the successful candidate’s start date. Global Canopy is working remotely until our Oxford office re-opens.
If you have any questions about the position, then please contact: Zuzka Majcova. The email address can be found on our website.