The Global Network of Civil Society Organisations for Disaster Reduction (GNDR) was established in 2007 as a voluntary network of civil society organisations who are committed to working together, and engaging with partners and other stakeholders, to increase community resilience and reduce disaster risk around the world. The network is vibrant and fast growing, presently consisting of 850 member organisations in over 140 countries across virtually every geographical region of the world.
The network is supported by a small but effective Secretariat team comprising of UK and regionally-based staff. The secretariat is legally constituted as a UK charity with the main responsibilities of facilitating the development, coordination and implementation of strategy, work plans and budgets, including supporting the mobilisation of adequate resources.
As GNDR works grows in scale and impact, we are looking for an ambitious and persuasive person to join the secretariat and lead the network’s fundraising. GNDR’s fundraising strategy aims to diversify our funding so as to ensure a sustainable long term financial base to support the realisation of GNDR’s new strategy whilst maintaining independence of action. There is a unique opportunity to make a valued contribution to an innovative and rapidly growing civil society network.
Position in Organisation:
- Responsible to the Programme Manager
- Part of the Secretariat team and active participant in cross-team working groups
- Works in close collaboration with GNDR Secretariat staff (particularly Finance / Grants staff), Global Board, membership, donors and partners
- Represents GNDR with donor organisations, partners and other fund managers
Overall Scope of the Role:
- Funding Proposals/grant applications
- Pipeline coordination
- Donor liaison and relationship building
- Grant reporting
- Training and Capacity Development
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The remit of this post will cover the following core tasks and responsibilities:
- Donor liaison and relationship building
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with existing and potential institutional donors, private foundations, trusts, corporates and/or partner organisations at head office and regional levels, maintaining relationships with regular visits and interactions
- Develop a range of networking contacts and keep abreast of development within the institutional funding sector, including with peer agency counterparts
- Identify best options and engage with private sector under corporate social responsibility and/or cause-related marketing programmes
- Maintain knowledge of current fundraising procedures and legislation affecting fundraising activities within the charitable sector
- Join relevant fundraising networks / alliance and attend fundraising and marketing events
- Support regional staff with the development of strategic relationships with in-country / regional donor offices.
2. Fundraising proposals/grant applications
- Research and horizon scanning for new donor calls, analyse donor trends and maintain relevant knowledge on donor priorities, rules and legislative requirements.
- In close consultation with other Secretariat members, coordinate the development and submission of high quality funding applications to relevant donors and resource providers at regional and global levels.
- Track and monitor the outcomes of applications to ensure funding proposals are fully considered by donors and relevant data is provided.
- Analyse and disseminate the reasons for success or failure and corrective action necessary to improve the success rate of future funding applications.
- Support and guide regional-based staff in the above tasks.
- Optimise relevant pages on GNDR website to engage individual donors
3. Grant reporting
- Coordinate the preparation and submission of high quality donor progress reports.
- In collaboration with the Finance team and relevant Secretariat staff, coordinate and assist with the management of a portfolio of donor-funded contracts
- Maintain contract information, electronic documents and hard copies of documents related to our relationships with donors.
4. Training and Capacity Development of Staff and Members
- Provision of advice, training and capacity building support to enhance the fundraising and grant management capacities of GNDR staff and members at national, regional and global levels.
- Develop and implement plans to support members in their fundraising
- Provision of regionally-appropriate advice, training and good practice / knowledge products to GNDR regional-based staff and members to support greater ownership and regionalisation of GNDR financial base (including legal registration processes)
- Encourage a spirit of fundraising amongst GNDR staff, board and wider membership.