Job Title: Operations Support Coordinator
Contract Type: Permanent, Full time and part time positions available
Location: Home-based. GoodGym has a small office in Central London which you are able to work from but candidates outside of London are welcome to apply. Travel to London every couple of months may be required for which reasonable expenses will be paid.
Reporting to: Older People Operations Manager
Salary: £21,500 (pro rata)
Holidays: 25 paid holidays + bank holidays and 5 paid development days per year (pro rata)
Application Closing Date: 16th August 2021
Interview Date: 20th August 2021
GoodGym's Diversity Statement
We are looking for the best people to help us provide support to millions of people affected by loneliness and isolation in England and Wales. We want our team to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and we offer equal opportunities to everyone, regardless of race, sex, gender identity, disability, age, nationality, religious or philosophical belief, age, sexual orientation, educational attainment, family status, trade union activity or any other factor. We see diversity as strength and want everyone to be able to be their whole selves at work. We therefore strongly encourage candidates from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds to apply for this role.
GoodGym is an award-winning charity that encourages people to get fit and do good at the same time. We organise activities that encourage people to be active while volunteering for community groups, charities and older people.
GoodGym works in 58 areas and boroughs across the UK and is recruiting for an Operations Support Coordinator to join the Older People Operations team. The Older People Operations team works with around 5000 volunteers across the country who support older people through social visits and helping them with practical tasks around the home.
GoodGym’s work with older people has seen a significant increase in activity since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, this is a great time to get involved and be part of a small team doing good across the UK. GoodGym is specifically looking to address the underrepresentation of people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds in its staff and we strongly encourage candidates from these underrepresented groups to apply for this role.
Before the Covid-19 pandemic, we were an office-based organisation working in Central London. Like everyone we’ve had to adapt to home working and we’ve found we quite like it. We work hard to keep video meetings useful and interesting and to find ways to socialise and have fun. We know it’s important to find time to step away from your computer and encourage you to do so.
We’re currently in the process of deciding exactly what our office set up will look like in the future but we know it will be flexible. We do like to meet up in person and so if you are applying from outside of London we would expect to see you at our office at regular points throughout the year. Reasonable transport costs will be paid.
As part of GoodGym's Older People's Operations Team, you will play a key role in the organisation supporting older people. You will also support volunteers, manage a busy workload and deal with different groups of people.
- Answering phone calls and managing the Older People Operations Team’s shared email inbox
- Acting as first point of contact for volunteers, whether over email or over the phone; supporting them, troubleshooting and resolving issues where necessary
- Maintaining volunteer records and reporting to the Older People Operations Manager if any safeguarding issues/allegations are raised in line with GoodGym’s Safeguarding Policy.
- Providing administrative support for volunteers and older people, including but not limited to communicating with referral partners, screening and listing volunteering tasks on the GoodGym website, confirming tasks with beneficiaries on the phone and ensuring best safeguarding practices are upheld
- Supporting volunteers through the process of DBS applications, checking references, conducting document checks and making judgement calls on volunteers’ suitability to volunteer.
- Communicating with potential and existing referral partners over the phone and via email, answering questions about GoodGym and providing technical support as and when necessary
- Seeking out partnership opportunities for GoodGym
- Contributing to the development of the Older People Operations Team and respective processes and policies
Skills and abilities
- You’ll have strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and will be a people-person, able to build strong relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds and to support volunteers and older people through sometimes difficult situations
- You’ll be calm and level-headed when faced with pressure. You’ll be organised and able to prioritise your workload
- You’ll be a self-starter and able to work independently as well as part of a team. We’ll provide all the training you need initially and after that, you’ll work quite autonomously so this role would suit someone who is able use their initiative and get stuck in
- You’ll be a trusted member of a small team. You’ll be sensitive and supportive of other team members, including our volunteers and spot opportunities to support others when they are under pressure
- You’ll be willing to bring ideas to the table to improve the way we work
- You’ll be IT literate and able to pick up new systems quickly. GoodGym uses various different tech platforms so being able to use them effectively will be important in this role
- You’ll have strong empathy with the people you are supporting and a passion for creating positive social impact
It would be useful for you to have some of the experience below, whether it's professional experience or experience from education/volunteering. However, it's more important that you fit the person specification above so please get in touch even if you don't have any of the experience listed below.
- Experience of handling telephone calls
- Experience of using different websites and IT platforms
- Having challenging or difficult conversations with customers or the public
- Work supporting or interacting with customers
- Experience of volunteering, community projects or working with volunteers
How to apply
To apply for the role, please fill out an application form.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.