An exciting and new climate change organisation is looking to recruit a Head of Finance for their UK office. If you are a qualified accountant with experience managing a finance function and would like to work for a flexible start-up organisation where you can shape and develop a team and input into strategic decisions, this would be a great role for you.
The Head of Finance reports to the Director of Programmes and Operations and supports the Executive to develop the strategic direction and financial viability of the organisation. You will also have responsibility for the provision of finance-related services and information to the Executive, the Directors and the organisation's key stakeholders.
Financial leadership, strategy and reporting
- Working with the Director of Programmes and Operations to provide sound financial advice to the Executive Director, Directors and donors, acting as the leading interface between management and donors on financial
- Supporting the Director of Programmes and Operations in setting the organisation's long term strategic financial planning and annual budgeting processes. Accountable for ensuring processes are in place for resource allocation and performance monitoring of the organisation.
- Ensuring that the appropriate processes and procedures are in place to monitor the long-term financial viability of the organisation, advising directors on the financial consequences of proposed
- Providing financial strategic advice and regular financial reporting to donor advisory committees and to other entities within the global network.
Financial Management and Accounting
- Providing accounting and taxation services and co-ordinating cross-border accounting and tax advice to all entities.
- Ensuring the effective development, implementation and evaluation of finance policies and procedures ensuring their consistent and compliant application.
- Responsible for the production of the annual Statutory Accounts and for co-ordinating the accounts preparation and audit of overseas entities.
- Working with the Director of Programmes and Operations, provide an external interface with donors, grantees, banks, auditors, pension funds and investment consultants as appropriate. Negotiating and establishing partnerships with commercial provide
Risk Management and Operations
- Ensuring appropriate risk management techniques and financial controls are embedded throughout the organisation, at strategic and operational levels and across multiple jurisdictions.
- Providing and/ or coordinating all IT, risk / insurance and property services and advice.
- Ensuring that the reputation of the organisation in relation to finances and risk management is actively managed and monitored with all relevant stakeholder
- Acting as a spokesperson for the organisation as and when required and undertaking and: other duties as required by the Executive Director and Director of Programmes and Operations.
Qualifications & Experience
- Fully qualified chartered accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent), with at least 10 years PQE.
- Experience of running a small finance and general administration department in a start-up or SME organisation.
- Experience of delivering excellent financial reporting and decision-making support to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong experience in technical financial accounting, management accounting and analysis. Including experience of working in international organisations with cross-border transactions.
- Experience of managing a complex grant portfolio within a charitable setting (desirable).
- Effective and easy communication style, able to relate to a wide range of people. Able to interpret and clearly explain complex financial data to non-finance staff and external stakeholders.
- Strong influencing skills and able to contribute effectively to strategy.