The Government Property Agency (GPA) was launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018. The GPA represents a step change in the way that Government property estate and assets are managed efficiently, by providing innovative and flexible solutions across the Government estate. Our core service is to support departments in business change and workforce transformation. The GPA is the place to be for UK's leading professionals in estates, commercial, project management and beyond.
The Government Property Agency is expected to grow exponentially over the first few years of its existence; this equates to transferring hundreds of assets (worth billions of pounds) onto its balance sheet from Government Departments, as well as gaining responsibility for the running of a large part of the central government office estate.
The Commercial Management Accountant is responsible for the recording and reporting of Commercial costs in line with the Government Finance Functional Standard. The objectives are to ensure accurate property accounting, and accounting of expenditure and income including capturing of data relating to time, costs, billing and forecasting.
The post holder will contribute to GPA developing a culture of strong financial management.
The responsibilities of the Commercial Management Accountant will include
- Operate project accounting processes including capturing of data relating to time, costs, billing and forecasting
- Establish and maintain good relationships with asset management, commercial transactions and contracts and procurement teams and the wider GPA Finance function
- Develop and monitor financial plans for GPA's managed estate, including Commercial projects, and monitor performance against these plans
- Support the delivery of accurate financial data in a timely manner to enable effective decision making
- Promote continuous improvement by developing and improving project accounting processes and procedures
- Ensure correct financial governance and stewardship of projects and programmes
- Play an active role as a member of the wider finance team, contributing expertise in the development of strategies, proposals and work implementations
The post holder may be required to undertake additional responsibilities as expected in relation to the role and grade.
Key Skills & Experience
- CCAB part-qualified or equivalent would be a benefit, but not essential
- A good level of management accounting experience, preferably in a public sector environment
- Strong attention to detail and ability to analyse and interpret significant amounts of financial data
- Ability to communicate complex matters to a non-financial audience
- Ability to work well as part of a geographically dispersed project team
- Strong focus on delivering an excellent service to customers
- Strong organisational skills to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Good experience of using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel
For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Katie Wilson-Smith or Stuart Thomson at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.