The Government Property Agency is changing the way the Civil Service works and is at the forefront of Government's transformation agenda; reshaping the relationship civil servants have with their place of work. The Agency is central to the delivery of key Government policies including moving 22,000 Civil Service roles out of London by 2030 and tackling climate change by contributing to the Net Zero agenda. To do this we are delivering a major change programme across the UK and consolidating our portfolio in order to save £1.4 Bn over 10 years.
You will be a key member of the GPA Finance Leadership team, responsible for setting out GPA’s financial strategy working with HM Treasury and the Cabinet Office. You will lead 3 x G6 finance staff in corporate finance activities made up of financial accounting, management reporting, financial control, finance systems and finance operations. You will be able to inspire and support the Finance staff of around 25 people and be able to lead this highly-skilled Finance team in delivering best in class finance services, overseeing the business and financial planning cycle, driving robust financial controls and holding the organisation to account for meeting financial targets.
This strategic leadership role is accountable for the delivery of an efficient and effective corporate finance function delivering a range of professional services to enable the organisation to robustly and confidently manage its financial position in line with government and regulatory expectations for the management of public money. Leading a team of professional experts, this role will ensure that the GPA is supported by a high quality, efficient and effective finance function that assesses, understands and anticipates strategic direction, business need and risks, while being sufficiently dynamic to be able to respond to changes in business and government direction as well as legislative changes. You will lead the GPA central finance teams to focus on high quality service delivery for a rapidly growing organisation with income over £1.1b and assets of over £1.7billion
The responsibilities of the Deputy Director of Corporate Finance will include:
- As part of the Finance Senior Leadership team, provide leadership, energy and direction for the team and supporting financial service providers continuingly improving service levels
- Oversee and deliver the preparation of annual statutory accounts.
- Oversee the provision of reporting and analysis to the Executive Team and the Board.
- Ensure that GPA meets its financial targets by managing its income and costs with effective finance processes and delegations.
- Oversee the development of assurance strategy to ensure that the highest standards are met and are in line with best practice and government strategy.
- Embed an effective internal assurance control framework.
- Strong people leadership, creating a Finance team that is seen as exemplary in delivery of financial management, reporting and control as well as a place where Finance professionals want to be.
- Experience of a senior financial role within an organisation going through a significant period of change.
- Sound experience of financial management, reporting and control with the ability to manage systems, deliver at pace and drive best value for money.
- Strong track record of confidently engaging and working with senior stakeholders.
- Knowledge of financial accounting, budgeting and income generation in Government.
- Experience of Government finance and budgeting.
- processes, such as Treasury funding mechanisms, and spending reviews.
- The successful candidate must be a CCAB Qualified or equivalent (i.e. ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, CIMA, ICAS or CAI).
- Ability to deliver transformational change and upskill and grow the finance function and associated infrastructure in order to support the growth of GPA.
- Experience of strong financial management controls and processes in a variety of organisations.
- Strong customer service ethos.
- A track record of successfully working with outsourced service providers.
- Experience of financial management gained in the property / real estate sector, preferably in property development or asset management. (Desirable)
- Have strong commercial acumen, with proven ability to add commercial value. (Desirable)
- Experience of introducing new financial systems and digital tools. (Desirable)
- Experience of reporting to, and advising, a Board. (Desirable)
To apply for this opportunity, you will be required to produce a supporting statement (max 750 words) demonstrating how you consider your personal skills, qualities, and experience, providing evidence of your suitability for the role with consideration for the key responsibilities of the role alongside your CV. For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.