£49,700 - £56,524+ accountancy allowance up to £5,000 (fully qualified)
The Government Property Agency’s mission is to provide great places to work for civil servants. We are using our scale and commercial expertise to do this effectively, efficiently and sustainably, helping to support growth in all parts of the UK. We are growing rapidly through acquisition of Government properties from Departments. Turnover has risen from £0.4bn in 20/21 to £1.1bn in 21/22 and it will continue to grow as more properties are transferred and run by GPA. The postholder can be based at any of the GPA locations with Finance presence outside London. GPA has offices in Birmingham, 23 Stephenson Street, Leeds, The Lateral; Manchester, Piccadilly Gate; Nottingham, Apex Court. Some business travel may be needed in due course when travel restrictions allow.
Creating a first class finance function at the heart of decision making is a key priority of our transformation programme. The finance team will provide robust financial reporting and control alongside outstanding commercial business finance advice.
The Head of Financial Accounts is responsible for the production of the GPA Annual Report and Accounts which is independently audited and laid in Parliament to strict deadlines. The post holder will also lead on the production of consolidation returns for the Cabinet Office departmental accounts and Whole of Government Accounts. The role requires the post holder to manage two members of staff in planning and delivering while identifying and managing key assurance risks and issues. Further growth will be required as GPA expands its client and property base.
The responsibilities of the Head of Financial Accounts will include
- Lead the production of the GPA Annual Report and Accounts including provision of consolidation returns for Cabinet Office departmental accounts and Whole of Government Accounts
- Manage internal assurance processes including balance sheet reconciliations
- Coordinate the delivery of internal and external audits
- Provide advice on technical accounting and regularity issues including spending controls compliance
- Drive continuous process efficiencies and improvements across the function, delivering maximum value for the GPA and ensuring robust controls are in place
- Seek out opportunities to lead/contribute to cross-government and cross-finance initiatives outside of own role
- Build relationships with key staff across Finance and the business in order to maintain effectiveness and relevance during change
- Ensure Record to Report principles are embedded within the GPA
The post holder may be required to undertake additional responsibilities as expected in relation to the role and grade.
Key Skills & Experience
- Recognised professional accounting qualification e.g., CCAB/CIMA accountancy qualification.
- Good experience of financial reporting, ideally in a public sector context
- Good experience of financial assurance
- Good experience of using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel
- Ability to seek and analyse significant amounts of financial data to inform decisions
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on accuracy
- Ability to work in a geographically dispersed team
- Ability to plan and prepare to maximise time and productivity
For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.