Business Support Manager
Rugby House, Twickenham Stadium
25 hours per week
09:00 to 15:00 Monday to Friday (flexible working arrangements can be discussed)
Salary and benefits
- Gross annual salary: £18,000
- Pension benefits through Aviva Group Pension Plan
- Life assurance through Canada Life Plan
Week commencing 18 October 2021
About GB Wheelchair Rugby
Great Britain Wheelchair Rugby Limited (GBWR) is the national governing body (NGB) for the game of wheelchair rugby in England, Scotland, and Wales. Its mission is to build wheelchair rugby communities where athletes, officials, and volunteers all enjoy being part of a team. It is a values-based organisation which aims to be inclusive, accessible, and supportive of all who wish to be part of the sport.
Wheelchair rugby is a London 2012 legacy success story and GBWR has grown the sport from a domestic league with a single division comprised of seven teams, to one which now has three divisions providing competition opportunities for twenty teams.
GBWR has also introduced the WR5s discipline of the sport which provides competition opportunities for those ineligible to play the original game, and has grown this discipline to sixteen teams across two divisions.
GBWR offers the sport for young people and our junior programme, supported by the Lord’s Taverners, provides an opportunity for those aged 8-17 years to experience wheelchair rugby in a junior-only environment which currently has over ninety youngsters playing the game regularly.
The GB national team are the current Paralympic champions, being the only European team to win a medal in wheelchair rugby in the Games’ history. The team are also European Champions, having taken the gold medal a record total of seven times since 1995.
GBWR activities are funded through a mix of government, National Lottery, and commercial funding through sponsorship agreements. Sport England recognised the success of GBWR’s grassroots delivery with a four-year award totalling £1.4M. UK Sport has also recognised the achievement of the GB national team, with GBWR being in receipt of £2.6M for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games cycle.
You will be the GBWR Business Administrator (BA) reporting to the Business Support Manager (BSM) and supporting the wider GBWR staff team. This will be a varied role for an engaging and proactive individual; you will work across the business, providing support to the senior management team, the national GB team, and grassroots development. You will be delivering the day-to-day business needs of GBWR to ensure the organisation is able to effectively achieve its operational and strategic goals.
You will provide support in a BA capacity to the GBWR group; this is presently Great Britain Wheelchair Rugby Limited and GBWR Trading.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide organisation-wide business support under direction of the BSM
- Logistical arrangements: meeting spaces, accommodation, and travel
- Maintain the office space and hard copy filing system, and serve as the primary GBWR contact at the RFU office space
- Support the BSM with implementations and maintenance of an organisation-wide shared file system
- Administrative support: preparing meeting papers, producing meeting minutes, and other administrative tasks including proof reading; this may include limited off-site support at other locations in the UK, such as meetings held outside of the Twickenham office – travel expenses will be reimbursed in line with GBWR’s expenses policy
- Support BSM and GBWR’s commercial, digital, and PR partner with content updates to the GBWR website as directed, liaising with the external web team where necessary
- Support the BSM to maintain GBWR’s governance standards, for example ensuring annual declarations are provided by board members
- Work closely with the BSM and GBWR’s finance partner to effectively manage the day-to-day finance operations (filing and payments)
- Support the BSM to manage the membership database with the external provider
- Serve as the first point of contact for members, staff, the board, and stakeholders for phone, email, and postal correspondence
- Assist the SMT with hosting guests and visitors
- Promote the values and culture of GBWR
- Be an advocate for GBWR and the sport of wheelchair rugby
- Any other tasks or responsibilities as deemed appropriate by the Chief Executive
GBWR is a dynamic organisation and as such changes to the core duties and responsibilities of the role may be required at times. We are a team and our core values are important to us and as such you will be expected to embrace those values and demonstrate them in your day to day working.
How to apply and submit your application
To apply, please submit:
- A CV of no more than two sides of A4 paper (in PDF format)
- A cover letter of no more than one side of A4 paper documenting why you are applying and why you believe you would be a strong candidate for the role (in PDF format)
- Names and contact details, including email addresses, of two references and in what capacity you know them
Completed applications should be received by 12:00 noon on 1 October 2021.
Conflicts of interest
You must provide details in your supporting statement if you have any interests that might be relevant to the work of GBWR and which could lead to a real or perceived conflict of interest should you be appointed.
GBWR is an equal opportunities organisation and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified and experienced people regardless of race, religion / belief, gender, gender reassignment, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital / civil partnership status, or pregnancy / maternity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.