We need an Operations Director who is clearly committed to who we are and what we stand for and who has the skills and enthusiasm required to make a difference. This is an exciting new post which provides opportunities to do things differently by bringing fresh insight and vision.
We appreciate that this post requires a mix of management, finance, systems, and service development experience. If you feel that you have some rather than all the experience that we are looking for please apply. We will offer training and support to the right candidate who meets most but not all of the criteria.
We also welcome informal discussions to help you decide whether you want to apply.
Job Title: Operations Director
Salary Scale: Points 36-39 £38,813 - £41,675
Pension: Employer will match employee contribution up to 6%. Minimum is 5%.
Responsible to: CEO
Hours: 35 per week
Summary of the post
This is an exciting opportunity to increase GMIAU’s management capacity so that we can maximise our impact in support of people living in North West England who are affected by the complex immigration system. The post-holder will be responsible for strengthening our internal processes, developing income streams, and act as Deputy CEO on all matters operational, financial, and strategic.
Main Purpose of Job:
GMIAU’s offer of high-quality immigration legal advice and representation to people in need in the north west puts it in a unique and special position. We have a responsibility to assist people who face the challenges of a harsh and hostile immigration system and who would otherwise not have access to justice through legal representation. Supporting adults, children and families, many who face homelessness and destitution, and a significant policy and influencing profile, we are looking for someone who has the passion, skills, and aptitude to help develop the organisation over the next few years.
This is a newly created position which is designed to shape and strengthen the Unit’s management structure so that we remain strong, sustainable and capable of withstanding the many challenges we face. This is a significant leadership role which provides opportunities to do things differently. After a recent review of risks it was identified that, as a priority, we need to create a position which can provide back-up and deputise for the CEO and who can provide new insight, skills, and energy to take the organisation through the next stages of its development.
Summary of main duties and responsibilities
- To develop positive relationships and networks of people and organisations that will further develop the strategic interests and development of GMIAU and the people it serves
- To work with the CEO to develop income streams to ensure the long-term financial sustainability of GMIAU.
- To lead and support staff and volunteers to develop services that meet the needs of people most affected by immigration control, and to ensure that people with experience of the immigration system are central to every level of the organisation.
- To ensure that GMIAU has the necessary systems and structure in place to report effectively on all of its activities.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To develop strong, trusted relationships with external partners to further develop GMIAU’s strategic priorities (funding, services, policy, people)
- To work in collaboration with individuals and agencies across the North West to enhance and develop joint approaches to tackling the issues that many people face, including access to quality immigration advice, homelessness and destitution, and having no recourse to public funds.
- To lead on the development of systems which will ensure that people and communities that are most isolated and affected have access to immigration legal advice.
- To work with the CEO to identify funding opportunities to sustain GMIAU’s core work and to fund new service and policy developments;
- To lead on the development of GMIAU’s public fundraising campaigns.
- To lead on the development of commissioned services to underpin longer-term service developments
- To manage the process of identifying and funding new service and policy developments, including identifying need, securing funding, managing the service or project throughout its development, and reporting on outcomes and achievements.
Planning and Development:
- To work closely with the CEO and the Board to give effect to, and keep under review, the strategic plan and to make recommendations.
- Lead on the development of initiatives to ensure the involvement of people with lived experience of the immigration system at all levels of the organisation
- Design and develop new services to effectively meet the needs of people
- To provide effective line management and support to staff within the team
- To develop data management processes to ensure that GMIAU can report effectively on its work, including to funders and the Board.
- To be responsible for the quality and delivery of GMIAU’s services through monitoring, evaluation and improvement plans to ensure they meet the needs of people most affected by the harshest and most damaging elements of immigration control.
- To work with the CEO to address issues of access to immigration legal advice and capacity to meet demand
- With CEO ensure annual delivery plans are developed and implemented.
- Provide timely and accurate management information to inform strategic planning and development
- Line manage a number of posts
- To ensure internal staff support, supervision, and management systems in place including
- staff development, appraisal and training plans
- an ongoing review of staffing requirements.
- system for reviewing GMIAUs policies (including health and safety, employment, data protection)
- ensure effective implementation of Units policies and keep them under review.
- To lead on administration systems management and to devise improvements and new ways of working.
- Review IT and digital systems and make recommendations to ensure best use of IT and digital systems
- Identify and manage operational risks.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.