Greenwich Hospital is thrilled to offer this opportunity, seeking a candidate who will strive to develop a diverse and historic property portfolio for a good cause - a charity that delivers support to Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel, past and present, and their families.
We aspire to be innovative, proactive, collaborative, and accountable. Our management culture believes in supporting a diverse and accountable team.
We can be great together. Join us.
Job title: Director of Finance and Resources
Salary range: £65,000-£68,000
Working hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (1hr lunch). (Scope for flexibility around core hours of 10am-4pm.)
Location: London (may include some time working from home and travel)
Lead the Finance Team of two qualified accountants and steer other aspects of resource management, managing the HR and Office Manager. You and the team are responsible for the financial soundness of the processes around Greenwich Hospital’s investments and spending. Much of the work, in accounting terms, is to lead and consolidate delegated day-to-day work. You will be accountable day to day to the Director of the Hospital, but also work to its (non-executive) Advisory Panel, Board and Audit Committee.
The day-to-day management of the financial investments and commercial property is also outsourced, and the accounting records are maintained by the managing agents and consolidated into the Greenwich Hospital Accounts.
You will have budgets to enable you to bring in specialist advice where required.
- As a key member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) contribute to the development and implementation of the Hospital’s strategy, especially the Investment Strategy where the Director Finance and Resources leads.
- Provide analysis and constructive challenge regarding potential strategies and initiatives, especially in relation to the Hospital’s finances and governance.
Finance and accounts
- Business planning and budgeting, to include:
- Co-ordinating the timely preparation of the annual income and expenditure budget, and overseeing financial performance against budget throughout the year, including monthly management accounts.
- Devising and delivering appropriate and timely financial forecasts, management reports and other data in support of each area of the Hospital’s business and advising on the likely financial consequences of all proposed courses of action.
- Developing appropriate business plans to support the Hospital’s medium- and long-term strategic plans.
- Leading work with SMT colleagues to ensure the Hospital’s risk management is kept current and relevant.
- Developing, monitoring and preparing a quarterly report of the Hospital’s performance against its KPIs and strategic objectives.
- Finance and accounting processes, to include:
- Overseeing and developing the financial systems, accounting, and payroll processes of the Hospital effectively in the service of its charitable aims
- Safeguarding probity and efficiency by overseeing effective internal financial controls and audit procedures.
- Ensuring that an appropriate financial policy framework (e.g. in relation to reserves, investments, and mix of income sources) is in place to guide financial decision-making.
- Working with the Advisory Panel, Board and Ministry of Defence to oversee the management of investments by the Hospital’s investment managers.
- Liaison with the Hospital’s professional advisers, bankers etc on financial and legal matters.
- Liaison with the Hospital’s Estates managing agents on financial and legal matters concerning the running of the estates.
- Ensuring compliance and good practice on all financial matters relating to the Hospital and related bodies.
- Ensuring effective record-keeping to meet legal and tax requirements.
- Management and satisfactory completion of the annual accounting and audit processes.
- Providing the Non-Executive and Management teams with information and advice about the finances of the organisation in support of their work .
- Oversee delivery of the Hospital’s HR function.
- Oversee the security and delivery of the GH IT systems, delegating to other staff as appropriate.
Building and Facilities
- Oversee the work of the Office Manager who is responsible for delivery of the Hospital’s facilities function.
Staff management and Team working
- Lead the Finance and Resources staff, directing and developing their work and ensuring that the team successfully underpins and fully integrates with GH Charity and Property teams.
- Participate in the Staff, Review and Development programme, encouraging staff development and ensuring that individual and departmental training needs are identified and met.
- Work effectively with the Senior Management Team, attending the weekly SMT meetings, and pro-actively contributing to discussions where appropriate.
- Develop good working relationships with Hospital staff at all levels and participate fully in the life of the Hospital.
- Other duties as may reasonably be required by the Director of Greenwich Hospital
The job description set out above may be subject to amendment at the discretion of the Director of Greenwich Hospital
Essential (E), Desirable (D)
- Good education to degree level (D)
- Qualified Accountant (E)
Experience and Knowledge
- Background with substantial experience in financial administration (E)
- Familiarity with financial administration of at least two of commercial, public sector and non-profit organisations. (D)
- Sound knowledge and understanding of:
- Preparing business plans (E)
- Preparation of Statutory Accounts (E)
- Project Appraisal (E)
- Contract management (E)
- Accountancy requirements for running a charity (e.g. management & annual accounts, budgeting, audit, payroll administration, financial controls) (E)
- Risk assessment. (E)
- Sound familiarity with charity law, governance, and appropriate codes of practice. (E)
- Knowledge of accounting systems and software, including Xero, ApprovalMax, ContractZen, Citrus HR. (D)
- Experience of effective staff management and development. (E)
- Experience of successful change management. (D)
- Experience of managing property/leaseholders. (D)
- Experience of leading the provision of HR services. (D)
- Experience of leading the provision of outsourced IT services. (D)
- Computer literacy (MS Office, email, internet), with solid working knowledge of Word and Excel. (E)
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent oral communication skills with a wide range of people. (E)
- Excellent written communication skills including:
- proven ability to prepare effective minutes, reports, and presentations, to express complex financial issues to non-finance specialists in a clear and comprehensible style (E)
- proven ability to compose appropriate letters to a range of external bodies (E)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to relate well with staff, stakeholders and contractors at all levels. (E)
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a senior management team and to contribute constructively to wider management team discussions, not exclusively concerned with financial matters. (E)
- Proven ability to organise own work and use time effectively. (E)
- Proven ability to initiate, follow through and complete projects, especially projects delivering substantial change. (E)
- Demonstrable ability to lead and manage staff, organising teams effectively and engendering and maintaining consistently high-performance standards. (E)
- Understanding of the constraints on organisations with small staff teams: flexibility to shift focus of activities when necessary. (E)
- Demonstrable experience of successful performance management. (E)
- Attention to detail: ability to work accurately, methodically, and successfully to deadlines. (E)
- Creative ability to think beyond existing practices to identify and implement potential improvements. (E)
- A sympathetic attitude to the traditions and reputation of the Hospital as a unique Crown Charity working with the Royal Navy. (E)
- Ability to combine tact, diplomacy, flexibility, and a pro-active approach in a positive manner even under pressure. (E)
- Patience, resilience, and a good-humoured approach to problem-solving (E)
- A positive attitude towards change. (E)