Duties and key responsibilities
1. Management and Statutory reporting
- Prepare monthly management accounts.
- Reconcile Balance sheet accounts monthly including accruals and prepayments.
- Prepare all statutory reports including Quarterly VAT Returns, Companies House, and Charities Commission Annual Returns, etc.
- Support the Head of Finance and Compliance to prepare the Annual accounts for Audit.
- Reconcile the Union Bank accounts monthly.
- Prepare weekly sales and analysis report.
2. Updating Charities Commission & Companies House websites:
- Maintaining Trustees database
- Update the Union’s details with Companies House and Charities websites on a regular basis.
3. Budgeting, forecasting and Cashflow statements:
- In consultation with the Head of Finance and Compliance, prepare annual budget and cashflow statement.
- Prepare forecast report and statements as and when required.
- Prepare monthly cashflow statement.
4. Managing and supervisory duties:
- Responsible for some aspects of purchase ledger which includes:
- Issue and maintain adequate records of purchase orders issued and chase up associated invoices.
- Maintain and post all Petty cash.
- Supervise and manage the Intern.
- Attend regular manager meetings with other departments.
5. General finance department duties:
- In consultation with the Head of Finance (or working with the Head of Finance), review Finance department working practices and direct/ overseas the computerisation of some systems procedures.
- Responsible for Sales Ledger, Purchase Ledger, and payroll in the absence of any of the Finance Officers with the Head of Finance.
- Assist with the sales ledger, purchase Ledger and payroll as required by the Head of Finance and Compliance.
- Prepare ad hoc reports or information promptly via the Head of Finance for Senior Leadership Team (SLT), Sabbatical Officers and other stakeholders.
- Prepare other financial reports and information for SU staff as and when required.
- Respond to queries from SU staff quickly and efficiently.
- Undertake filing and other administrative tasks as and when required.
- Maintain the Finance department’s customer –facing systems, paperwork, and efficiency improvements.
- Support the Head of Finance and provide necessary information to enable the department produce management accounts, budgets, forecasts and cashflows and audit and in the general running of the department (this is a guide not full list).
- Undertake other tasks and responsibilities, compatible with the level and nature of the post as required by the Head of Finance.
2 General Responsibilities
- Represent and be an ambassador for GSU.
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop, or be assigned in line with the broad remit of the position.
- Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development.
- Abide by organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices.
- Support and promote liberation, diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace.
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private, or sensitive information about individual organisations and or clients or staff and Project data.
- Adhere to the Sustainability policy and strive to reduce carbon footprint.
- Actively seek better ways to assist GSU in its effort to become a more sustainable workplace.
- Any other duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the post.
- Experience of preparing budgets, forecasts and cashflows.
- Proficiency in the use of an accounting software
- Previous experience of working in Finance department.
- Experience of customer service
- Experience of developing and maintaining effective systems for collecting, collating, and reporting information.
- Experience of payroll (desirable but not essential).
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Clear communication skills face to face and on the phone or email.
- Ability to troubleshoot difficult situations, and deal with them calmly, efficiently, and effectively.
- Writing skills – produce reports and ability to write succinct documents on complex areas.
- IT skills at a level that supports report writing, email, internet, and database.
- Time management and organisational skills.
- Ability to engage and motivate others.
- Self-motivated with the confidence to work alone but can also work co-operatively and flexibly as part of a team.
- Ability to stay focused and efficient in the face on changing priorities.
- Accurate, methodical and with a good eye for detail.
- Strong Customer service focus and an ability to build effective working relationships with employees and external stakeholders/suppliers.
- Regulatory requirements and best practice guidance relating to:
- Accounting and Finance
- HMRC and Charities Act
- Understanding and experience of taxation including VAT and PAYE tax /compliance
- Payroll and Pension compliance
- Part qualified ACCA or any professional qualification.
- Relevant experience and qualification in Accounting and Finance
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Able to travel extensively within the Borough and Region when needed.
- Able to work some evenings and weekends and stay overnight where necessary.
- Works well in a team with a flexible approach to work
- Commitment to anti-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities. An ability to apply awareness of diversity issues to all areas of work.
- Commitment to the values and ethos of the Organisation