As we launch our ambitious 5-year strategic plan the Retention and Insights Manager will play a key role at Greenwich Students’ Union in supporting students to stay and succeed at university.
The successful candidate will lead an established team in delivering our award-winning outreach programme which facilitates structured phone conversations with 1000’s of students each term. This role will be instrumental in identifying broader trends in student behaviour and presenting these insights to the institution.
The post holder will take a strategic, evidence-led approach to developing further interventions to support students based on the insights gained from this project and from other areas of SU and university activity.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has experience managing projects, analysing data and communicating insights to senior stakeholder.
You don’t have to come from a higher education background, but you should have an interest in working to help students succeed.
The post is fully funded for 6 months with the possibility of an extension at the end of this period.
This role sits within the Advocacy and Policy Team who focus on making 1-1 timely interventions to support students to succeed as well as identifying boarder trends in student behaviour to inform our strategic approach to services and support.
Reports to: Head of Advocacy and Policy
Responsible for: Outreach Supervisor & Outreach Ambassadors
Contract Length: 6 months with a possible extension
Salary: £35,000 pro-rata
Location: Avery Hill Campus -Eltham (Main site for this
project), Greenwich Campus and Medway Campus
with some home working
- Duties and key responsibilities
This postholder will be part of the Advocacy and Policy Team and will be expected to contribute to departments wider objectives and planning.
The post holder will:
- Manage and organise our award-winning Retention.
- Providing line management to the Outreach Supervisor and Ambassadors, ensuring regular 121’s and constant review of their progress.
- Creating training materials for Ambassadors to support escalation of student queries.
- Reviewing the survey script.
- Working closely with the University on escalating student queries and redirecting to relevant support service.
- Planning, organising, forecasting, and developing budgets.
- Recruiting and developing training for staff. Presenting project findings analysis to key senior stakeholders.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Writing weekly reports to stakeholders on key data, monthly trend analysis and end of term impact reports.
- Using insights from this project and other data to recommend and implement further interventions that aid retention and success.
- Updating data sharing agreements Creating and developing a physical risk assessment, working closely with the Health and Safety Team.
- Working closely with the Planning and Statistics Team, to confirm data requirements and analyse demographic data.
Budget and Financial Management
- Work with the Head of Department for budgetary planning; setting and reviewing of budgets, ensuring effective spend of budgeted sums and restricted funds.
- Being responsible for delivering activity within the allocated budget and ensuring these are effectively managed and controlled.
- Review and provide narrative for scrutiny at monthly management meetings with the Finance Team. [IA1]
- Being responsible for the monitoring, reporting and spending of multiple budget lines and ensuring cost-effectiveness across all activities.
- Liaising with key stakeholders in the University of Greenwich (UoG) - Director of Student & Academic Services, Head of Student Finance, Head of Health & Wellbeing, Head of Student Services, Head of International & Compliance.
- Liaising and working closely with the UoG Operations Teams to support and develop the physical setup of the project.
- Collaborate with GSU colleagues to ensure we have a consistent approach to how we work with and support students.
- Work with elected students and faculty staff to ensure we shape services students want and need, taking into consideration the varying campus priorities.
2 General Responsibilities
- Represent and be an ambassador for GSU.
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop, or be assigned in line with the broad remit of the position.
- Maintain and improve competencies through continuous professional development.
- Abide by organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices.
- Support and promote liberation, diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace.
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private, or sensitive information about individual organisations and or clients or staff and Project data.
- Actively seek better ways to assist GSU in its effort to become a more sustainable workplace.
- Any other duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the post.[IA2]
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Retention and Insights Manager
- Experience of project management, operational management and managing a large budget
- Experience of working as part of a multi-functional team
- Experience of line management
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders and partnership working
- Ability to troubleshoot difficult situations, and deal with them calmly, efficiently and effectively
- Good communication and presentation skills, with an ability to communicate ideas, issues, and procedures successfully at all levels and act as an external ambassador
- Ability to produce confident, clear written reports and be able to write succinct documents on complex areas
- Time management and organisational skills with the ability to manage others to reach deadlines, within agreed budgets and to a consistently high standard
- Able to draft policies and procedures with an eye for detail and accuracy
- Awareness of current issues within the higher education sector
- An understanding of effective charity and / or students’ union governance
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation
- Knowledge of GDPR and risk assessments
- No one specific qualification is required, but evidence of recent continuing professional development in a professional area relevant to the post is required. For example: ILM, City & Guilds etc
Essential Personal Attributes and other requirements
- A role model who promotes high standards of ethics, integrity and honesty
- Able to travel extensively within the Borough and Region
- Able to work some evenings and weekends and stay overnight where necessary
- Works well in a team with a flexible approach to work
- A commitment to the principles and practices of equality and diversity
- An ability to apply awareness of diversity issues to all areas of work.
- Commitment to the values and ethos of GSU
Duplicated [IA1] [IA1]
Development of supervisor/Conducting 1-2-1's with the ambassadors and constant review of progress etc [IA2] [IA2]
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.