We're looking for an experienced, driven, and focused Executive Director (Maternity Cover) to lead H&F Giving’s new fundraising strategy; to steward existing corporate and major donors, identify new supporters, and to create new opportunities to generate income – as well as to work with the Trustees to drive the delivery of charity's priorities.
H&F Giving was founded by local trusts Hammersmith United Charities and Dr Edwards and Bishop King’s Fulham Charity, as part of a wider London’s Giving place-based giving movement to mobilise communities to act to strengthen their respective boroughs. Since then, we have grown from a small project into the go-to organisation for funders and donors to understand and meet the needs of local people.
Over the past two years in particular, we have undergone accelerated growth supported by the City Bridge Trust, our Parent Charities, the Mayor’s Fund for London, and H&F Council. This includes mobilising hundreds of (corporate, foundation and individual) donors to give more than £160,000 to help local people in need and distributing more than £400,000 in grants to local community groups within the borough, including through increased partnership with the local authority.
Other achievements include producing Humans of Hammersmith & Fulham, a touring portrait exhibition, which helps dismantle prejudice and exclusion while inspiring belonging, discussion and sharing in the borough. Our work has featured in local press, our Executive Director has sat on discussion panels including for the Mayor of London's Festival of Ideas and shared knowledge with the wider London’s Giving network.
Towards the end of 2021 we took on our name H&F Giving (rebranded from United in Hammersmith and Fulham), which better represents our evolution and helps ensure everyone can understand our unique role. It clarifies our aim of connecting the borough, so that every person and every generation can give what they can, or get what they need, to thrive in Hammersmith & Fulham.
With a renewed our vision and mission, we are now seeking to continue to grow and strengthen our fundraising to secure core costs and drive new programmes of engagement and giving. We also plan to recruit three new team members during the year bringing the total number to five. That's why we're looking for an experienced, driven, and focused Executive Director (Maternity Cover) to lead H&F Giving’s new fundraising strategy; to steward existing corporate and major donors, identify new supporters, and to create new opportunities to generate income – as well as to work with the Trustees to drive the delivery of charity's priorities.
- To provide leadership to H&F giving
- To advise the Board and work to implement the vision and direction of H&F Giving
- To lead the staff team, oversee the direction of the operations of H&F Giving
- To interpret and implement policies and attend quarterly Board and Subcommittee meetings.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Advise the Board and work to implement the vision and direction of H&F Giving
- Lead, develop, implement and co-ordinate all activities of H&F Giving including fundraising, grant making and partnerships
- Be responsible to the Board for the sound financial health of H&F Giving and the setting and achievement of financial targets, agreed with the Board, and producing accurate and timely accounts
- Provide strong and committed leadership to H&F Giving, leading the staff team of up to 4,
- Ensure positive representation and public presentation of H&F Giving, locally and to all stakeholders and to the wider industries in which we work
- Ensure that H&F Giving operates within relevant legal requirements
- Provide regular feedback to the Board ensuring that it is advised of all developments and problems
- Advise and contribute to recruitment, training, and development of Trustees/Board members
- Manage the recruitment, selection, induction, performance management and appraisal of all line-managed staff
- Maintain effective communication at all times, ensuring that all information is shared with relevant staff
- Assist in the identification of personal training and development needs in relation to your duties and ensure that these are fulfilled in line with the business objectives of H&F Giving
- You have at least three years' experience working at a director or senior fundraising role, raising an individual budget of six figures plus, year on year
- You have proven successful experience in leading and managing a small team, including guiding and developing them one-to-one and as a group
- You have experience of financial management, planning and budgeting, including reporting to directors
- You have experience of cultivating, securing, and stewarding corporate and/or major donors
- You are comfortable with attending external events for pitching and knowledge sharing
- You have experience of events such as fundraising and appreciation events
- You are a self-starter and goal driven, comfortable initiating donor visits, meetings, or calls
- You have an excellent understanding of IT, including social media, Mail Chimp, WordPress design and editing, Word, PowerPoint and Excel, high standards of literacy, numeracy, communication skills
- You have experience or a strong interest in local grant making activities
- You are ambitious, hard-working, fun, charismatic, approachable, and a good listener
- You are able to obtain a clear DBS certification (provided)
- You’re a high-quality communicator and storyteller – helping to build relationships with diverse range of donors and stakeholders through words and messaging
- You have experience building relationships with key figures in Local Authority
- You have experience working with Development Boards
- You have experience working with Salesforce
- You are a good and strong leader, motivator, and credible role model
- You have significant experience of or live in the Hammersmith & Fulham area
- You have experience or knowledge of place-based giving
This job description is issued as a guideline to assist you in your duties, it is not exclusive or exhaustive, and it may be regularly reviewed to ensure it is an accurate representation of the post. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post and according to the needs of the charity.
How to apply, deadline and interviews:
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter of no more than 1 page telling us why you’re right for this role, addressed to Chair of the Board of Trustees, Joanna Kennedy.
Applications should be received no later than 18:00hrs on
Sunday 20 February (extended to) Sunday 27 February.
Shortlisting will take place the following week.
- First round interviews - Wednesday 2 March
- Second round interviews - Friday 4 March
- Ideal start date for 2–4-week handover - April 2022.
Please send your CV and covering letter of no more than 1 page telling us why you’re right for this role, addressed to Chair of the Board of Trustees, Joanna Kennedy.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.