The Charity is looking to appoint a Director to oversee the next stage in the charity’s development. With the current interim Director now moving on, this is an opportunity for a dynamic, committed and experienced individual to join the charity and shape and deepen our work and impact in the Borough of Hackney.
Founded 25 years ago, Hackney Night Shelter provides routes out of homelessness for people in need in Hackney by working with the community to provide warmth and shelter to homeless guests and to support them in rebuilding their lives.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, the charity has successfully moved away from a roving night shelter model to a static building-based model in the Borough (one female only shelter and one mixed gender shelter). Formerly known as Hackney Winter Night Shelter, the charity is now a year round service supported by a small dedicated staff team and over 250 volunteers.
Specifically, you will:
- Work with the Board of Trustees to realise HNS strategic objectives, demonstrate impact and deliver real value to the sector
- Spearhead the search and secure a new long term shelter venue by June 2022
- Be responsible for ensuring effective operational delivery through management of a small team of staff and volunteer resources
- Oversee organisational fundraising (trusts, foundations and statutory funding focus) and donation management
- Sustain and build strong strategic and working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders (council members and officers, funders, supporters, faith and community leaders, and the local business community)
In order to be considered for this role you will have previous senior management experience in the Charity sector and experience of working with vulnerable adults (ideally, but not necessarily within the homeless sector). You will have a strong knowledge of charity governance, excellent interpersonal skills, and experience of trusts/foundations fundraising.
The shelters are operational, and this is a client facing role, so while there is some flexibility for the successful candidate to work from home occasionally (up to 2 days per week), this role is predominantly hands on.
How to apply:
Hackney Doorways is committed to equality and diversity, and we encourage applications from all backgrounds but particularly from those who have lived experience of homelessness.
Interested applicants are encouraged to visit our webiste. Please submit a CV and a maximum two-page covering letter explaining:
- Your interest in applying for the role, and
- Your relevant experience as per person specification outlined above
Closing date 14th October 2021, first round interviews w/c 11th October 2021.
Hackney Doorways is a Registered Charity No.1139183
A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales No. 07064774
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.