Advert for Director of Marketing and Communications
Area: Hampshire and Isle of Wight
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Hours: 37.5 per week worked Monday – Friday (with flexibility)
Salary: £56,000 - £60,000 per annum (depending on experience)
Holiday: 33 days per year (includes Bank Holiday allowance)
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance are looking for a creative, strategic thinking and collaborative Marketing and Communications professional to join their Senior Management Team. In this key role you’ll be fully involved in the Charity’s strategy development and delivery, providing vision, expertise and leadership in the field of marketing and communications, as well as leading a young, innovative and enthusiastic marketing and communications team.
The successful candidate will be able to develop and deliver marketing and communication strategy and plans which respond to the changing and challenging landscape of the charity sector and the impact and opportunities for fundraising, particularly within the digital arena. You will be a strong, emotionally intelligent, team player who is open to change, personal development and learning and who can work in close partnership with other members of the team, in particular with the Director of Fundraising.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- To be an integral member of the SMT, setting a strong personal example to guide staff sensitively through a period of organisational change.
- To work closely with the CEO and SMT to provide vision, leadership, support and guidance in the area of Marketing and Communications to aid strategic decision-making and operation of the charity.
- To lead the development and implementation of a marketing and communications strategy that is seamlessly integrated with other organisational strategies, which maximises the reach, impact and longevity of fundraising campaigns, donor recruitment and engagement as well as the profile and presence of the charity.
- To provide leadership and oversight for all marketing and communications required to promote the Charity and support media and fundraising campaigns, particularly in the area of digital marketing and communications as well as developing and maximising data capture opportunities.
- To lead on developing and managing the charity’s brand, messaging and communication strategy, ensuring absolute coherence with the Charity Values (Teamwork, Dedication, Openness and Professionalism) at all times.
- To develop and implement communications plans for internal and external stakeholders as appropriate, leading on media strategy and delivery.
- To support and prepare the CEO and other members of the SMT, as necessary for internal and external communications including high profile, urgent and crisis media and press coverage.
- Through the setting of a strong personal example, to lead, motivate, support and develop the marketing and communications team, using effective recruitment, performance management, mentoring, training and development planning to ensure the marketing and communication function can deliver at a high standard, both today and into the future.
- Degree level qualification or equivalent experience
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) or Institute of Data and Marketing (IDM) professional qualification at Level 4 (or above)or equivalent
- Membership of a professional body in the field of marketing and communications.
- A minimum of 3 years proven and demonstrable experience in a similar role, where you have provided strategic advice, vision and leadership in the area of marketing and communications to ensure the organisation’s strategic objectives were met.
- At least 3 years proven experience of developing and delivering marketing and communications strategy
- Proven experience of developing, leading and delivering successful digital marketing and communication strategy and plans
- Proven track record of leading successful communications projects including planning, execution, and evaluation.
- Proven ability to work effectively with other departments/teams and members of a senior management team.
- At least 2 years’ experience of leading and managing a small team and supporting individuals, through a period of change, to become high performers, delivering and exceeding objectives.
- Experience of using data analysis, metrics and insight to inform, evaluate and plan marketing and communication activities effectively.
- Providing specialist guidance, leadership and management of internal and external communications, brand, media and public relations.
- Working at a strategic level in marketing and communications in the third sector
- The confidence and ability to contribute, collaboratively, at a strategic level, clearly articulating vision, ideas and guidance as a specialist in the field of marketing and communication
- Detailed technical understanding and experience in testing a range of digital approaches, messages and calls to action
- To have empathy with the cause
- To have sensitivity and personal resilience necessary to communicate both good news and tragic news professionally and compassionately, including managing sensitive case studies and preparing beneficiaries for occasional participation in media interviews
- Excellent organisational skills, methodical approach to planning and attention to detail
- Ability to use own initiative and prioritise workload as well as manage own and others conflicting priorities while meeting deadlines
- Flexible approach to working
- Excellent use of English - verbal and written
- Ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external stakeholders
- A positive and enthusiastic team player who is able to work collaboratively with other members of a Senior Management Team.
- Personal insight and understanding of the impact of own behaviours on team dynamics.
- Access to reliable and efficient means of transport to travel to different sites across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight without delay and occasionally at very short notice.
- Media trained
Please send a covering letter and CV Your CV should clearly show how you meet the above criteria and the letter should explain why you’re interested in the role and working for the Charity.
Deadline for applications: 5pm on 30th August 2020.
- Shortlisting will take place week commencing 31st August
- First Interviews will be on Friday 11th September.
- Second Interviews will be on Friday 18th September.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Currently with the opportunity for some working from home whilst Covid safe working is in place
Information about the Charity and role: Further information about the Charity can be found on our website and if you would like to discuss the role is more detail please contact the Director of Fundraising, Rachel Leaman at:
rachel @ hiowaa . org.