The Head of Finance will lead the finance function of 2, working directly to the CEO ensuring a robust and compliant system is available to support the activities of each charity.
The position requires a Qualified Accountant to cover the following;
Financial & Management Accounting
* Prepare, plan and complete the year end process on the membership databases including the direct debit submissions.
* Prepare the accounts to trial balance for all companies
* Prepare annual financial statements for the Charities (SORP compliant)
* Design management information to support Board decision making
* Continually review the finance department to initiate and apply improvements to ways of working.
* Liaise with organisations' investment managers and the Board / Finance Committee to ensure prudent management of portfolios.
* Ensure the accurate and timely management of the purchase and sales ledgers by the finance team, including credit control and cash management.
* Approve weekly payments and check accuracy and appropriate approvals has been obtained.
* Review the management information completed by the Assistant Accountant
* Complete monthly payroll and liaise with pension providers. Calculate salary re-charges.
* Arrange annual audits and share information with the Board and Members.
* Complete quarterly VAT returns (partial exemption)
* Complete annual P11ds.
* Train finance team on correct application of VAT codes
* Investigate tax matters as they arise (e.g. VAT on online journals, etc)
* Ensure all organisations are compliant with HMRC legislation and keep up to date with changes in tax legislation.
Finance Committee & Boards
* Lead the preparation of the finance committee agenda.
* Prepare the Finance reports to the Board.
* Contribute to meetings to keep abreast of issues being discussed. Prepare relevant financial information to support decision making.
* Provide advice and guidance on charity legislation and best practice.
* On behalf of the Company Secretary, complete the annual returns with the Charity Commission and Companies House and update with new trustee information.
* Complete project work, as directed following Board meetings (e.g. investments, governance, etc)
* Manage the finance team and be responsible for workloads, projects and prioritization of tasks for the team.
* Be responsible for recruitment for the finance team, their annual appraisals and on-going development.
* Act as the senior manager for all queries and issues when based in the office for the rest of the team.
* Act as deputy to the Chief Executive.
* Lead on the implementation of GDPR. Act as the key contact for all organizations.
* Prepare or review contracts, agreements with external bodies and contractors. Make recommendations, as required.
* Review insurance agreements.
* Lead on and review the risk register for Board approval.