Harris Westminster Sixth Form is looking for an experienced fundraiser to build on the strong development work that has been done over the last few years. We are looking for someone dynamic who enjoys the challenges and joys of raising funds in this competitive sector. With strong earlier development work, we have a good foundation of current donors, and we want to enhance and enrich this to enable even more students to fulfil their dreams.
The working hours for this role will be two to three days a week. We can be flexible with hours worked, but this role will also require you to be available for relevant functions and events.
Harris Westminster combines the energy of brilliant young people from across London’s diverse neighbourhoods, the strength of Westminster School in teaching academically able students, and the Harris Federation’s experience and expertise in running outstanding maintained sector schools. This sixth form is a unique collaboration between two champions of UK Education; the Harris Federation and Westminster School. It is over-subscribed, academically selective and has incredible diversity in its student cohort with no ethnic group exceeding 20% and 40% of students having received Pupil Premium. 70% of HWSF students go on to study at Russell Group universities and we have one of the largest Oxbridge cohorts of any school (state or private). 34 students from the 2021 cohort gained places and 80+ have interviews in to join them in 2022. We are looking for an outstanding individual to join and support this exciting, scholarly, and vibrant community.
Ambition. Perseverance. Legacy. Kindness. Scholarship.
Harris Westminster students expect great things of themselves; they aim high and meet their targets, gaining places on the most competitive university course and apprenticeships, and from those courses into elite careers. They work hard to reach their ambitions and learn that setbacks are reasons to review strategy and try again rather than give up. They aim to make their mark on the world for the long term and learn that they can have a positive and lasting impact. Students from different backgrounds, cultures, and lifestyles work together and listen to each other to understand more deeply how these differences affect our experiences, to overcome prejudices and create a more equal society. During their time at the school they develop a love of learning and acquire the habits of enquiry, knowledge acquisition, and scholarship.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- Maintain the network of existing donors – providing progress updates as required, ensuring that they are invited to events, and responding to requests and queries.
- Establish a strategy for attracting new donors to support the development of Harris Westminster as a well-resourced centre of excellence for bright disadvantaged students in London.
- Organise events, meetings and visits for the school for potential donors and work with the Principal’s office to maximise the effectiveness of the Principal’s time.
- Maintain at a minimum the level of current annual donations and increase this to an agreed target
- Work with the Principal and the Federation PR Consultants to develop and update the existing publicity materials to ensure that the Sixth Form’s publicity strategy is effective in attracting donors.
Qualifications & Experience
- Proven track record of securing high value gifts and delivering significant income through strong relationship management.
- Record of effective fundraising in meeting or exceeding income targets.
- At least five years’ experience of charity fundraising.
- Experience of personally soliciting major individual donations and grants from trusts.
- Track record as a strong communicator.
- Experience of working closely at a senior level with colleagues, philanthropists and business people.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact us via e-mail, or call to arrange a conversation.
Before applying, please download the Job Pack for full details on the job responsibilities and person specification. You will need this when completing your application.
Please note: we may hold interviews as and when applications are received and we reserve the right to offer to a candidate prior to the closing date. We only accept applications submitted online via our careers website and which are completed before the closing deadline. With this in mind, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible and advise you check the job information as per the listing on our careers site.
Rewards & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.