Location: The role covers our East Region – East Anglia, Milton Keynes & North London and will be home based with the requirement to attend our Saffron Walden Office on a weekly basis.
Full time: 35 hours per week
Salary: £34,000 - £44,000 per annum
Car Allowance: £5,000 per annum
Hastoe is an award-winning housing association that manages 7,500 rented, shared ownership and leasehold homes across the south of England. We hold charitable status and support both rural and urban communities by providing affordable and environmentally sustainable homes for local people.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Building Surveyor to join our East Regional team. The successful candidate will work to deliver our planned and major work programs working closely with our Regional Maintenance Surveyors and our external contractors providing excellent customer service to our residents, while ensuring Hastoe maintains and repairs our properties striving for value for money and in accordance with the legal requirements.
The areas you will cover for this role include East Anglia, Milton Keynes & North London
Other duties will include:
- Preparing specifications, schedules of works, drawings, material and workmanship sections and contract documents for tendering or pricing by contractors to meet Hastoe’s planned maintenance and major works programmes.
- Take the lead as Contract Administrator and Project Manager for each project.
- Plan and complete stock condition inspections to provide high levels of data quality, enabling effective asset management planning, performance monitoring and improvement of the supply chain to meet resident satisfaction.
- Work in partnership with colleagues in responsive repairs picking up repair works, post inspections and satisfaction surveys where required and assisting with more challenging and difficult to diagnose response repair issues.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with contractors, suppliers, residents and other Hastoe departments.
What we are looking for
You will need to have good working knowledge of building construction, The Building Regulations and Health & Safety legislation. You’ll also need:
- Construction or related qualification such as a B-Tech, HNC, HND – currently working towards or a desire to work towards a Professional Qualification such as RICS, RIBA, MCIOB or BSc in Building Surveying.
- Experience of managing projects using term contracts and SOR’s
- Understanding of building pathology and ability to diagnose complex building related defects.
- Good report and specification writing.
- Experience of delivering high standards of customer service to all customers, internal and external.
- Aware of regulations concerning fire prevention, legionella and asbestos
- Experience in using housing management systems (Hastoe use MIS)
- Hold a valid driving licence and have use of your own vehicle.
For more information on the role, please see the job description.
Your salary will be supported by a range of benefits, including flexible working opportunities, discounts and pension scheme.
Annual Leave: 25 days (increasing with service up to 28 days) + 1.5 days complimentary leave + option to purchase additional leave.
Pension: Hastoe's employer contributions are based on a matching of your own contribution level plus 2%, up to a maximum of 8%.
Family friendly policies and benefits including:
- Flexible working
- Discounts for local shops, restaurants and gym membership
- Cycle and Car Leasing Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (advice service)
- Health Cash Plan (a type of health insurance)
Please send your CV, supporting statement and an answer to the question below in less than 500 words to the hr team by 12 July 2020
- You have received four tender returns for a major works project tendered as a JCT Minor Works Contract. Two have mathematical errors and two have qualifications. How would you approach this situation and on what basis would you appoint a contractor?
Initial Interviews will be held via Zoom on 22 July 2020.
For more information about the role or enquiries about the application process please contact the HR Team.
This post is subject to background checks.