Digital Marketing & Communications Manager
- Salary: £30,600 – £36,000, with scope for salary progression
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Hours:Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
- Location: Elephant & Castle (Central London) / Remote.
- Hatch is moving to full hybrid working and this applies to this role as well. However, we ask that applicants must be able to travel to the office in Elephant and Castle in central London at least once a month.
- Responsible To: Head of Marketing and Communications
- Application Deadline: 9am, 14th February 2022
- Interview Dates:
- 1st Interviews w/c 21st February 2022
- 2nd Interviews w/c 28th February 2022
If you want to help make the UK a fairer, more equal place to live and work, read on. We’re looking for someone who’ll produce digital content that makes people stop, drop what they’re doing and get on board with the mission we’re on at Hatch.
We believe that businesses can be a force for good. Increasingly, people want to start and grow businesses that have a positive social impact in their communities, but not at the cost of the earth. With more than 500,000 people starting a new business in 2021, we need more entrepreneurs across the UK to know that we’re here to offer support on their journey, whatever their background, whatever stage of their business. That’s where you come in.
As a creative individual, you’re as curious about digital marketing and the power of storytelling, as you are about how we as an organisation can further our role in combating societal injustice. In this hands-on role, you’ll talk to founders, get their story about what makes them and their businesses tick, and help tell those stories across all of our digital channels to help get more heads turning our way, people and businesses engaged in and supporting our work. You’ll be playing a key part in creating that buzz about Hatch’s work and the force that good entrepreneurship can be. Crucially, you’ll be in the driving seat around one of our major objectives – to boost our reach and drive entrepreneurs onto our support programmes and events – and develop ways to keep them coming back time and again.
You’re evidence and data driven, open to new ideas and opportunities and keen to improve and develop our marketing and communications activity in our team. Above all else, you’re someone who has bright ideas, knows what makes a good story and how to go about making things happen.
Driving new audiences to Hatch’s support programmes and events
- Developing acquisition and retention strategies through both organic and digital paid-for marketing (e.g. Google Ads, Facebook Ads), bringing in and managing any third party support as necessary, in support of programmes and events recruitment and fundraising activity.
- Identifying new and relevant stakeholder groups and target posts in appropriate digital channels that helps grow Hatch’s reach on a national scale.
- Leading on the analysis, evaluation and sharing of social and digital performance, using this information to inform and improve performance and understanding of Hatch’s stakeholders.
- When required, developing social media reports as part of reporting back to Hatch’s funders and partners.
- Working with Hatch’s events coordinator to create pre- and post event email marketing campaigns.
- Producing Hatch’s monthly email newsletter, growing its readership and managing the mailing list(s), implementing A/B testing campaigns to better understand and segment the needs and requirements of Hatch’s newsletter readers.
Telling founder stories across Hatch’s digital media channels
- Developing a rich portfolio of content that covers the full spectrum of founder stories and experiences, as well as Hatch’s impact and recruitment priorities for support programmes and events, growing Hatch’s brand awareness across the UK and strengthening its position in the third and social enterprise sectors.
- Overseeing and managing Hatch’s digital channels and activity on a day-to-day basis, replying to comments, engaging with supporters and identifying opportunities for future stories and engagement.
- Working with Hatch’s PR & Communications Manager on accompanying digital content in support of press and media campaigns and coverage, such as blogs and responses to the media.
- Develop a social media strategy that aims to grow engagement, reach and impact across Hatch’s social channels.
- Working with the wider Hatch and communications team, develop and deliver on a balanced content plan across Hatch’s digital channels.
- Working with the Community team at Hatch to develop, grow and nurture a community of online Hatch champions who’ll support and promote Hatch’s work.
Expanding Hatch’s communications, case studies and testimonials
- Talking to founders and working with the wider Hatch communications team to build our stories, testimonials and case studies portfolio, for use across marketing and fundraising materials.
- Contribute to the development of Hatch’s longer term communications strategy, as well as to reports, including the impact report.
- When required, work with external agencies in the delivery of Hatch’s communications campaigns and projects, such as photography or videographers and designers.
- Establishing and managing Hatch’s image and video library, ensuring key Hatch events, programmes and activities are captured.
- Working to obtain consent and recording permission (GDPR and marketing permissions).
Contributing to the website
- Review, research and update relevant resources for founders on Hatch’s Resources page.
- Writing blog posts and news updates in line with communications campaigns and strategic priorities.
- Working with the Communications, Data and IT Manager to update website copy.
Supporting work around Hatch’s brand and awareness
- Working with the rest of the communications team, contribute to the on-going development of Hatch’s brand, supporting the wider charity in its use.
- As a brand guardian, work with external design support to rollout branded documents, templates and materials.
Knowledge and Skills
- A strong creative streak with the ability to tell engaging stories to a wide variety of audiences with differing needs and motivations.
- A strong understanding of the different digital communications channels and the role of segmentation in communications.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of digital marketing and current digital and social media trends.
- The ability to plan, develop and deliver impactful digital marketing campaigns that help drive a particular action or behaviour change, such as registering for an event or signing up to a newsletter.
- The ability to listen to and empathise with people from a diverse range of backgrounds, cultures and personal situations.
- Good evaluation and analytical skills, including the ability to work with statistical data and research and be able to translate them into powerful messages or to improve performance.
- Good at managing your time and able to juggle a variety of projects with shifting priorities.
- Good problem solving skills and an ability to think outside the box.
- You care about working towards a fairer society and the role of communications and entrepreneurship in achieving that.
- Someone who is comfortable trying, potentially failing, but learning from experience.
- Happy to take on a hands-on approach to working within a small communications team and working collaboratively with the wider Hatch team.
- Experience of developing and delivering online campaigns that help build brand awareness and prompt a response to a given call to action.
- Experience of growing an organisation’s digital and social reach and engagement to a tangible degree.
- Some experience of having worked in the Third Sector or social enterprise sector is desirable but not essential.
We care about our people and giving them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important since 2021. We have a cheerful, plant-filled office in Elephant & Castle, where everyone gets a desktop Mac and a good chair. For those working at home, we’ll provide you with a laptop and an allowance to get yourself set up comfortably. In the post-COVID world we’re experimenting with full flexibility to work from home or in the office as it suits you, but hope the whole team will be able to come together periodically.
- Flexible working – work from home or in the office and at the times that work best for you
- 38 fully flexible holiday days (including the 9 UK bank holidays)
- 3% employer pension contribution
- £500 home office set up allowance
- £750 annual budget for learning and development or wellbeing activities
- Paid time off for dedicated learning and development opportunities
- 4 days per year paid time off to volunteer
We believe everyone has potential. We are committed to increasing diversity among business owners, and we want to do the same for our team. If you’ve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but you’re worried you don’t quite fit the requirements, we’d love it if you went ahead and applied.
We want to ensure that our team represents a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we have to make an effort to understand and accommodate different people’s needs. If you would require any reasonable adjustments to be made to support you to apply, interview or join the Hatch team please contact us.
Please email us your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words explaining:
- What excites you about Hatch as an organisation and about this role in particular?
- What does a successful social media campaign look like to you and why?
- What would you do in this role that would really make an impact?
- Where did you first hear about this opportunity?
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.