Direct email applications ONLY - If you wish to be considered for this position, all documentation should be sent via EMAIL to jobs @ hatchenterprise . org
Please email us your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words explaining:
- What excites you about Hatch as an organisation and about this role in particular?
- In your experience, what are the most effective ways to build trust and get someone to tell you their story?
- What would you do in this role that would really make an impact?
- Where did you first hear about this opportunity?
Send these via email with ‘Stories and Media Officer Application – Your Name’ as the subject line by 9am, Monday 6th June 2022.
- Salary: £24,950 to £26,975 with scope for salary progression
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Hours: Full Time (typically 09.30-17.30 but with flexibility)
- Location: Elephant & Castle, London / Remote
- Responsible To: PR & Communications Manager
- Application Deadline: 9am, Monday 6th June 2022
- Interview Dates: 1st Interviews w/c 13th June 2022, 2nd Interviews w/c 20th June 2022
Telling a story is easy, but not everyone can tell a great story.
This role is about amplifying the voices of people who come into contact with Hatch, whether that’s founders past and present, mentors and mentees, experts who volunteer their time. It’s about being able to spot, develop and take stories from across all aspects of Hatch’s work and convert them into compelling stories that we can use across all of our communication channels and potentially pitch to regional, national and broadcast media.
Building and maintaining long-term relationships with a variety of different people from different walks of life will play an essential part of this role. We’re looking for someone who can go deeper into people’s motivations, capture their experiences and play a key part in raising awareness of Hatch’s impact and the power of entrepreneurship to help create a fairer society in the UK. You’ll talk to entrepreneurs supported by Hatch years ago to see what they’re doing now, be a point of contact for current founders on a Hatch programme or event, develop narratives of our partnerships with peers and funders and build our portfolio of stories, images and video.
Working most closely with the PR & Communications Manager, this role will also support the wider communications team and charity to help source and tell stories that support the work of the fundraising, community and programmes teams, so others can see what we do and why.
Producing stories and content gathering
- Working across Hatch’s teams, with the support of the PR & Communications Manager, to identify and engage with people who are prepared to share their experience with Hatch and/or being an underrepresented entrepreneur in the UK.
- Interviewing and writing up newsworthy case studies that can be used for the media, Hatch’s website, social media, reports (e.g. impact report, annual report), fundraising and partnerships proposals and reports and newsletters.
- Proactively seeking out a pipeline of new real life stories, in support of Hatch’s wider communications strategy.
- Maintaining relationships with those who are prepared to act as case studies, ensuring they are well stewarded and supported.
- Working alongside the wider Hatch team to make sure our case studies cover a balanced range of different stakeholder groups, communities, and experiences.
Press and Media
- Supporting the PR & Communications Manager to proactively pitch people’s stories to regional, national and broadcast media.
- Supporting the PR & Communications Manager to monitor, analyse and share Hatch’s media coverage.
- Producing evaluations for media campaigns and supporting the creation of press lists.
- Monitoring the news, horizon scanning and sharing relevant insights and opportunities to allow the communications team to engage with a range of relevant thought leadership topics.
- Responding to and dealing with media requests.
General communications tasks
- Collating and managing Hatch’s library of high quality imagery, video, testimonials and case studies and consent, ensuring the charity follows data protection and safeguarding policies.
- Reporting as required in line with agreed objectives and KPIs.
- Supporting the wider communications team with administrative tasks when necessary, including helping to organise photoshoots, video filming, and media training and liaising with external suppliers.
Knowledge and Skills
- An eye (and ear!) for what makes a strong story.
- The ability to write engaging stories to a wide variety of audiences with differing needs and motivations.
- An ability to interview in person and remotely and build trust with different groups of people who are sharing their story.
- An understanding of the different communications channels currently used at Hatch – including social media, PR, website, internal communications and newsletters, and how real life stories could be used in each.
- Using media monitoring tools to evaluate and share how press and media work has performed.
- Good at managing your time and able to juggle a variety of projects with shifting priorities.
- You care about working towards a fairer society and the role of communications and entrepreneurship in achieving that.
- You are comfortable trying, potentially failing, but learning from experience.
- Happy to take on a very hands-on approach to working within a small close knit communications team and working collaboratively with the wider Hatch team.
- Some knowledge and understanding of the press and media in the UK is desirable.
- Some experience of interviewing and talking to a wide variety of people from different backgrounds is desirable.
- Some understanding of how to build and maintain longer term relationships with real life case studies is desirable.
We care about our people and giving them the things they need to succeed.
We have always been supportive of flexible working, which has become even more important recently. We have an office in Elephant & Castle, which is available for anyone to work from as much or as little as they’d like. For those working at home, we’ll provide you with a laptop to get you set up. In the post-COVID world we’re experimenting with full flexibility to work from home or in the office as it suits you, but hope the whole team will be able to come together periodically.
- Flexible working – work from home or in the office and at the times that work best for you
- 38 fully flexible holiday days (including the 9 UK bank holidays)
- 3% employer pension contribution
- £750 annual budget for learning and development or wellbeing activities
- Paid time off for dedicated learning and development opportunities
- 4 days per year paid time off to volunteer
We believe everyone has potential. We are committed to increasing diversity among business owners, and we want to do the same for our team. If you’ve read this far, and you like the sound of the job, but you’re worried you don’t quite fit the requirements, we’d love it if you went ahead and applied.
We want to ensure that our team represents a wider cross-section of society than a typical start-up, and we know that means we have to make an effort to understand and accommodate different people’s needs. If you would require any reasonable adjustments to be made to support you to apply, interview or join the Hatch team please contact us.
Please note we are only able to accept applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.