Research, grants, coordinator, manager, operations, university, analyst, leadership, management, innovation
Your new company
A world class research university which focuses on health, research, innovation and training is now looking for a Senior Research Operations Specialist.
Your new role
- To provide high level research administrative support and advice to academic and research staff in the School, working closely with the Research Management & Innovation Directorate from application stage, grant set up and final report and financial reconciliation
- To ensure the alignment of research proposals with the School's and Faculty's strategic objectives
- To work with colleagues from the Research Development team to enhance application quality and maximise income to the School, to optimise the School's and Faculty's performance and ongoing sustainability
- To work with colleagues based across the Faculty and university to develop policies and processes and to engage staff and students in the implementation of Faculty and university policy within the School
- To forge relationships with key partners and stakeholders including funding bodies, and particularly focussing on ensuring relationships with funders of key infrastructures hosted in/with the School (e.g. NIHR Research Design Service; Sentinel Stroke National Audit Programme; and the Biomedical Research Centre)
- To identify funding opportunities and promote these to School staff, providing advice on how to improve research grants and working with the Research Development team to coordinate the selection of proposals for funding calls, peer review and mock interviews
- To monitor and record research application success rates, research financial management and research outputs, alerting the School Executive to risks and opportunities as these arise
- To assist the School Lead (Research & Impact) and the School Manager in coordinating the School's response and contribution to the Research Excellence Framework and other formal assessments/reports
- To encourage an environment of good research conduct
- To foster a stimulating, innovative and inclusive cultural environment across the School enabling students and staff to thrive and develop, actively supporting diversity and inclusion initiatives that promote equality in research and aim to address key points of attrition, particularly for staff and students with protected characteristics
- To participate in cross-Faculty and university projects and initiatives.
What you'll need to succeed
- Educated to degree level or relevant experience
- Relevant postgraduate or professional qualification
- Proven commitment to ongoing skills development
- Good understanding of the UK and EU funding environment
- Knowledge of research practice and policy in health (population health/medicine/ informatics/public health/epidemiology)
- Highly numerate with proven financial management and analytical skills to underpin strategic financial strategic decisions and procedure
- Proven Professional Services skills gained within the Higher Education sector and a detailed knowledge the regulatory, policy and procedural context along with the challenges and opportunities faced by the sector
- Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills at all levels
- Demonstrable experience of financial planning and implementation, including preparing budget, financial profiling, preparing business cases and plans, and monitoring key performance indicators, budgets and risks Experience of building an effective network across a complex organisation and with external stakeholders Experience of using complex databases and management information systems
What you'll get in return
Excellent salary with london weighting.
Great Central London location working for an esteemed establishment.
£39,000 - £45,000
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.