Background to the job: Acquired brain injury (ABI) is one of the commonest causes of death and disability in working age adults. Survivors of brain injury can live with a range of difficulties affecting their physical and cognitive functioning. Living with a brain injury can result in social isolation, mental health problems, difficulties with family relationships and unemployment.
Headway SELNWK is a medium size charity, over thirty years old, that supports people affected by ABI. We provide support services across SE London and North West Kent in the community and at our day service. Most of our members’ support is funded by social services or the NHS. Whilst we want to maximise this funding where possible, we also want to develop models of support that are not dependent upon statutory funding.
Headway has well established links with local hospitals notably with the Major Trauma Centre at Kings’ College Hospital. We foster active links with a range of community providers including neurological rehabilitation and social work teams and other Third Sector organisations.
Headway SELNWK is entering a phase of new development and is looking to recruit an outstanding Director of Operations and Finance to oversee the development of its finance, human resources and IT processes. This person will combine technical skills in one or more of these areas with an evident passion for the charity’s mission to improve outcomes for people affected by ABI.
The Director of Operations and Finance will be responsible for overseeing the development of the charity’s finance, human resources and IT, ensuring that systems are effective and help to drive the charity’s mission. With technical skills in one or more of these areas, they will identify what is already working well and what could be improved, before drawing up short-, medium- and long-term priorities to improve the charity’s operations. As well as applying their technical skills, this will also require excellent project management, including the management of a small Operations team. The Director of Operations and Finance will enjoy working across a range of projects and will be able to strike the right balance between leading tasks themselves and working with their team and with external partners. As well as focusing on the immediate needs of the charity, part of the Director of Operations and Finance's remit will include laying the foundations for the capabilities that will be needed in the future as the charity grows. In particular, we want to implement our fundraising strategy with a view to eventually developing a fundraising team.
The ideal candidate will not necessarily have all of the required and desired characteristics, though they will certainly have real strengths in some of these areas. What is most important is that they will have a commitment to the charity’s mission and the tenacity and drive to achieve to very high standards. They will demonstrate a genuine openness to feedback and continuing improvement and will seek to learn from those within the organisation and its wider network of partners.
While not exhaustive, the following list of responsibilities gives a comprehensive overview of the role:
- Senior leadership within the charity, feeding into strategic planning and decision-making by the charity’s Board and Executive
- Working with the Director of Strategy and Business Development to ensure the operations structures of the charity can deliver its strategy
- Working across the charity to develop systems and processes that are effective at all levels
- Overseeing the development of the charity’s finance department
- Working with the Finance Working Group, payroll provider, bookkeeper and auditor to ensure compliance with relevant frameworks
- Developing financial forecasts, management accounts and other financial reports
- Implementing financial controls and policies across Headway SELNWK
- Lead on fundraising in conjunction with all staff, Trustees, members, volunteers and external contractors (such as professional fundraisers)
- Develop, implement and evaluate Headway SELNWK’s fundraising strategy; work towards a business case for recruiting a fundraising team.
- Overseeing human resources
- Working with the Senior Management Team and Trustees, to ensure the charity recruits, trains and retains outstanding members of staff
- Supporting development of competency framework, performance review and CPD
- Implementing HR policies across Headway SELNWK
- Overseeing information systems
- Working with external providers to build information systems capacity within the charity
- Ensuring that members of staff are equipped to make best use of IT capacity and information
Interviews are scheduled for week commencing 9th December 2019
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.