Acquired brain injury (ABI) is one of the commonest causes of death and disability in working age adults. Survivors of brain injury can live with a range of difficulties affecting their physical and cognitive functioning. Living with a brain injury can result in social isolation, mental health problems, difficulties with family relationships and unemployment.
Headway SELNWK is a medium size charity, over thirty years old, that supports people affected by ABI. We provide support services across SE London and North West Kent in the community and at our day services in Deptford and Shooter's Hill. Most of our members’ support is funded by social services or the NHS. Whilst we want to maximise this funding where possible, we also want to develop models of support that are not dependent upon statutory funding.
Headway has well established links with local hospitals, notably with the Major Trauma Centre at Kings’ College Hospital. We foster active links with a range of community providers including neurological rehabilitation and social work teams and other Third Sector organisations.
Headway SELNWK is entering a phase of new development and is looking to recruit an outstanding Director of Strategy and Business Development. The ideal candidate will have significant experience of working with people affected by ABI and an evident passion for the charity’s mission to improve outcomes for them.
The postholder will be responsible for overseeing the development of the charity’s strategy and external relationships to drive the charity’s mission.
With a strong commitment to working co-productively with our members and their families, the post holder will identify what is already working well, what could be improved and how to implement and evaluate these improvements. The post holder will work closely with our Community Organiser to develop inclusive and inspiring models of practice that are responsive to the needs of our members and their families. This role will be key in developing a strategy for the training and development of our staff so as to best meet the needs of our members and their families and the demands of the local health and social care system.
With the Director of Finance and Operations and the Board of Trustees the post holder will develop a short-, medium- and long-term strategy to improve the charity’s operations and will work across the charity to implement and evaluate the strategic aims and objectives.
Therefore the post holder should have good project management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities at once. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential as the post holder will represent the charity to external partners such as commissioners, supporters and other statutory and third sector organisations.
The post holder must understand how Headway SELNWK's local work fits into regional and national agendas to develop services for people affected by ABI. We'd expect the post holder to have awareness of the challenges and opportunities of working within the Third Sector.
The ideal candidate will not necessarily have all of the required and desired characteristics, though they will certainly have real strengths in some of these areas. What is most important is that they will have a commitment to the charity’s mission. They will demonstrate a genuine openness to feedback and continuing improvement and will seek to learn from the experience of our members and their families.
What we are looking for?
We are looking for someone with experience of facilitating either operational or strategic planning, ideally in a brain injury rehabilitation service and/or within the Third Sector. You should have demsonstrable experience in developing plans with clear objectives and outcomes. You will be confident, astute and strategic in your assessment of complex issues, an excellent listener and someone who has the ability to manage a variety of stakeholders with differing expectations.
The Role Profile
Working with the Board of Trustees, the Director of Finance and Operations, our Community Organiser, our members and their families, this role will be pivotal in helping us shape the future of Headway SELNWK.
The post holder will work closely with the Director of Finance and Operations in developing Headway SELNWK's strategy and service development. Main areas of responsibility will be:
- To lead the development, implementation and evaluation of new Headway SELNWK services
- To lead the review, evaluation and revision of any current Headway SELNWK services
- To take a lead role in consultation, development and implementation of Headway SELNWK's strategy
- Internal coordination and management of staff input and consultation to strategy and service development
- Oversight and coordination of our external stakeholder consultation, to be defined.
- To take a lead role in maximising the engagement and inclusion of our members and their families in the development of our services and strategy
- To maintain and develop Headway SELNWK's relationships with local stakeholders, seeking opportunities for collaboration, new service developments and income stream
- To lead processes for any new service development or review of current services, ensuring the best standards of co-production / inclusion, budgeting and resourcing, implementation and evaluation
- Take a lead role in implementing a strategy consultation plan, involving staff, members and families, trustees and external stakeholders. This may include leading on Headway SELNWK away days, project managing their conception, budget, execution and logistics as well as other methods such as interviews, focus groups, surveys, review of service data, appraisal of public policy etc.
- To devise and run methods for keeping staff and our members and their families included in strategy and service development processes and to be informed of progress
- To take a lead role in writing Headway SELNWK's strategy document and any associated business / operational plans
- To lead the translation of the strategy into operational reality through the development of plans and KPIs- helping to bring Headway SELNWK together behind the strategy
- Work across Headway SELNWK to ensure input is received in good time against the strategy milestones, and proactively identifying where conflicts arise
- To shape and run an effective and inclusive stakeholder consultation process ensuring outputs from evaluation are shared, strategy content is consulted on accurately, in good time and fed back in to the strategy development.
- Work alongside and communicate with regional and national colleagues as appropriate
- Proactively escalate issues, opportunities and potential variances from milestones or budget to the Board of Trustees
- Ensure Headway SELNWK communicates effectively about strategy and service development with members and staff and externally with our partners, funders, supporters, local and regional policy maker
Interviews are scheduled for week commencing 9th December 2019
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.