We are seeking an ambitious and experienced fundraising professional to join our leadership team in Brussels as Associate Director of Development, playing a central role in the continued growth and development of our activities at Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) Europe. The organisation has undergone significant growth since 2018 and is now preparing to further expand and diversify its revenue base to support the delivery of an ambitious five-year strategic plan. The Associate Director of Development will drive this work forward.
Heading up the new Development Team and reporting to the Executive Director, the post holder will prospect and win new business, develop funding proposals and lead the development and implementation of HCWH Europe’s new Finance & Fundraising Plan. They will take personal responsibility and accountability for generating leads, building networks, making contacts, and meeting business development and income generation goals. They will also lead the development of the organisation’s Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) processes and systems, ensuring compliance amongst the wider team.
1. Develop and implement HCWH Europe’s Finance & Fundraising Plan and produce tailored revenue generation propositions and funding proposals in order to secure significant, multi-year revenue streams
2. Research new revenue generation and fundraising opportunities that align with HCWH Europe’s core mission and strategic goals, compiling a list of key targets and developing cultivation and stewardship plans
3. Diversify HCWH Europe’s revenue base, with a focus on expanding partnerships with philanthropic foundations and national and international institutions, whilst maintaining and developing relationships with existing donors
4. Explore and develop new, alternative opportunities to generate income for HCWH, e.g. event fees, membership fees and/or development of chargeable services and training courses
5. Develop and line manage the Development Team and work with programmatic and operational teams to identify funding needs and prospect and secure funding to match those needs
6. Work closely with the Executive Director to secure new, long-term partnerships that support HCWH Europe’s five-year Strategic Plan and Network Development Plan
7. Work with the Operations Manager to develop the overall financial management and planning process at HCWH Europe, ensuring fundraising activity is aligned with organisational needs and priorities and supports the long-term financial sustainability of the organisation
8. Liaise with the CleanMed Europe team to set and achieve sponsorship and exhibitor fundraising targets, developing and nurturing relationships with new and existing companies supporting the conference
9. Work with the communications team to ensure that communications materials for potential funders and donors are up to date and relevant, tailored for specific audiences
10.Lead the development of HCWH Europe’s Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) tools and systems in order to measure and report impact to stakeholders
11.Provide update reports to the Board of Directors on progress with fundraising and revenue growth against targets
12.Work as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, attending external events, public speaking and networking and deputising for the Executive Director
In addition the post holder will work as key part of HCWH’s international development and fundraising team, coordinated by HCWH’s Managing Director of Philanthropic Partnerships & Strategy, based in the US. You will share intelligence on fundraising and partnership opportunities with development leads in other regions (North America, Asia, Latin America and partner organisations) and collaborate on international funding proposals on behalf of HCWH Europe.
You will be confident, articulate, persuasive and engaging, with significant experience of new business development in the corporate or third sector. Educated to degree level, you will have a strong commercial understanding and outlook. You should also have demonstrable experience of winning partnerships of €500K and over. In addition, you will be able to demonstrate:
· Knowledge and understanding of the health sector and/or contemporary sustainability issues and practice as they relate to health
· Experience and knowledge of budgeting and organisational financial management and reporting (preferably gained in an NGO or third sector role)
· Experience of balancing competing deadlines and managing multiple tasks and priorities within a busy working environment
· Confidence when managing senior level contacts across donors and companies
· Experience of managing, developing, and inspiring teams
· Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to persuade, motivate, network, and negotiate effectively
· Highly effective communicator, both written and verbal
· Ability to support others to achieve income targets
· Ability to work with multiple teams and across multiple programmes to support diverse fundraising needs
· The ability to network with and influence senior people both internally and externally in order to achieve pre-defined outcomes
Fluent English (verbal and written) is mandatory for this role. Working knowledge of other European languages, in particular French, would be an advantage. Candidates should be eligible to work in the EU.
We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
We expect the role to be based at our head office in Brussels, however, home/ remote working will be considered in the case of exceptional candidates.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.