How to apply
PARTNERSHIPS MANAGER (Maternity Cover*)
*potential to extend to permanent position.
Health Poverty Action is looking for a dynamic, proactive and strategic individual with a proven track record of identifying and cultivating new business as well as stewarding existing partners. You will be the critical driver of growing our community, corporate and partnership fundraising and ensuring that more people worldwide are able to realise their right to health.
Health Poverty Action acts in solidarity with health workers, activists and communities worldwide to improve health and challenge the causes of poverty.
Our distinct approach can be summarised as a combination of three features:
• We approach health as an issue of social justice
Health is a human right that many are currently denied. The greatest causes of poor health worldwide are political, social and economic injustices. This is a global scandal which causes unnecessary suffering on a massive scale.
We tackle these complex root causes of social injustice in two ways. Firstly, we work in partnership with communities to help them take back the power to improve their own health. Secondly, we campaign on a national and international level to change policy, and destroy unjust power relations.
• We prioritise those missed out by others
We believe in health for all, without exclusion. Development organisations tend to cluster together, which leaves large populations with almost no support at all. People may be living in hard to reach areas, or are difficult to support for some other reason. We make these most neglected populations our highest priority.
• We address the full range of factors which impact on health
Health is a combination of physical, mental and social wellbeing. As well as strengthening health services we work on areas such as nutrition, water, sanitation, gender discrimination, and income generation. Tackling one cause of poor health in isolation can give the appearance of improving health in the short term, but tackling numerous factors together saves lives.
We are acutely aware of how our own power dynamics as an organisation impact on the people we work with, and we work in partnership with communities to create long term relationships built on trust.
We are part of a global movement for health justice – the People’s Health Movement (PHM). The PHM is today’s embodiment of the primary health care movement and the radical vision it set out continues to rally health workers and policy makers worldwide. This quote from the founding document of this movement, the People’s Health Charter, sums up the essence of Health Poverty Action’s values and identity:
“Health is a social, economic and political issues and above all a fundamental human right. Inequality, poverty, exploitation, violence and injustice are at the root of ill-health and the deaths of poor and marginalised people. Health for all means that powerful vested interests have to be challenged, and that political and economic priorities have to be drastically changed. This Charter encourages people to develop their own solutions, and to hold accountable local authorities, national governments, international organisations and corporations.”
Benefits of working with Health Poverty Action
• Flexible working hours
• Working with passionate, value-driven people
• Additional time off between Christmas and New Year
• Pension contribution
• Limited bureaucracy
• Casual work environment
• Opportunities for professional development
Context of the role
Health Poverty Action has lots of exciting and ambitious fundraising ideas in the pipeline, including a large match funding campaign. Through leading on these – and incorporating your own ideas and expertise – you will be able to take our unrestricted fundraising to the next level.
You will have experience identifying, developing and securing new corporate partnership opportunities, including Charity of the Year Partnerships, corporate sponsorships and other donations, match funding, employee fundraising, and gifts in kind.
You will also line manage a highly-capable Community and Events Officer and Fundraising Intern, and will need to be a considerate team-player who can inspire and lead by example.
• Lead on all partnerships fundraising, including campaigns for target audiences to raise awareness and diversifying income
• Build and nurture relationships with current partners, as well as identifying prospective partnerships
• Continually research and identify prospects and ensure they are approached in a timely manner
Community and Events Fundraising
• Secure corporate sponsorship for our campaigns
• Work in collaboration with the Community and Events Officer to create a suite of bespoke events to support with employee engagement with corporate partners
• Manage the Community and Events Officer to ensure they meet their targets
• Maximise income from our partnerships through excellent stewardship and supporter journeys
• Budget, monitor, re-forecast and report on fundraising activities
• Recommend, revise and implement plans as required to ensure targets are met and risks minimised
• Be aware of all HPA work and developments, in order to identify stories and material for fundraising purposes
• Act as a representative of HPA when required and communicate its work in a passionate and professional way, including attending networking events
Health Poverty Action recognises that all adults and children have equal rights to protection from abuse and exploitation. Health Poverty Action condemns exploitation and inappropriate behaviour, and is committed to taking action for the protection of programme participants. In cases where positions include a high level of safeguarding risk, police checks or local equivalents will be carried out.
At Health Poverty Action we celebrate diversity and promote equality and inclusion amongst all of our staff and everyone we work with. We actively support and encourage people from a variety of backgrounds, experiences and skill sets to join us and help shape what we do. We are particularly keen to hear from ethnic minority candidates.
Thank you for considering working with Health Poverty Action.