Our current Directors have created a sound foundation for Healthwatch Bucks and span a broad range of experiences, skills and backgrounds.
We are now looking for additional members to bring new experiences and perspectives. Ideally, our board members should live or work in Buckinghamshire so that they have a good grasp of the issues surrounding local health and social care and a passion for making those services the best they can be.
Since a number of our directors will be retiring in 2022 after completing their maximum three terms on the Board, we particularly want to recruit directors with experience in:
- mental health
- primary care
- patient experience
- lived experience of disability
- voluntary sector provision
We are also looking for skills in:
- strategic planning
- finance & income generation
- human resources
It is essential that the Board is representative of a good age and geographical spread across the country. We, therefore, encourage interest from people who will improve the diversity of our Board and help provide access to those communities which are sometimes harder to reach.
Applicants should work or live in Buckinghamshire or have demonstrable close connections with the county. They must be over the age of 18 and eligible to work in the UK.
It is important that applicants, or members of their immediate family, do not have any potential conflict of interest through any existing roles in the local health and social care economy.
Therefore, eligible applicants are likely to be those who are not currently:
- health or social service or care providers, or their employees, within Buckinghamshire
- providers affiliated with a private company providing goods and services to local healthcare and social care providers;
- commissioners of health and social care services in Buckinghamshire.
In addition, under the Companies Act 2006, someone may not be a Director if:
- he or she has been disqualified from acting as a company director (unless special permission has been granted by the court to act for a particular company); or
- she or he is an undischarged bankrupt (unless special permission has been granted by the court).
Person specification for Healthwatch Bucks Director
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Proficiency at listening to and ensuring that lesser heard voices have the opportunity to contribute
- Skilled in building strong relationships and collaborative working partnerships
- Ability to work as part of a team and enthuse others
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate effectively, challenge positively, influence others and communicate with a wide range of audiences at different levels
- Ability to participate effectively in discussions and represent people who access services in a clear and professional manner.
- Commitment to the aims, objectives and values of Healthwatch Bucks
- Understanding of good governance principles including the legal duties and responsibilities of directorship
- Strong connections with or knowledge of local communities, networks and services
- Experience of working in a collective decision-making group or awareness of board level working
- Experience of management or leadership in the corporate, statutory or voluntary sectors.
Desirable knowledge and experience
Healthwatch Bucks Directors should be able to contribute to the effectiveness of the Board in one or more of the following ways:
- Good local knowledge of some aspects of Buckinghamshire health and social care environment
- Experience of representing the ‘voice’ of others
- Understanding the challenges facing the NHS, local government and the voluntary sector which may impact on local community health and wellbeing.
Application and selection
To apply, candidates are asked to provide:
- a personal statement detailing how you meet the person specification included in this document. Please list each criteria and state clearly what relevant experience or skills you have for each one;
- a copy of your CV.
Applications should be emailed by 7 June 2021
All applications will be considered by comparing the contents of the CV and personal statement against the role and experience requirements. All applications will be acknowledged and shortlisted candidates contacted and invited for informal interview most likely to be held online depending on Covid-19 guidance applying at the time.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact our Chair, Jenny Baker.
Role and responsibilities of Healthwatch Bucks Directors
Essential role of a Healthwatch Bucks Director
To act in the capacity of Director under the Companies Act 2006 ensuring that the organisation achieves its aims and objectives through effective governance, service delivery and management in line with constitutional and statutory obligations.
Directors also ensure that Healthwatch Bucks is inclusive and accountable to local people, making an impact on local NHS and social care service delivery.
Collective responsibilities of the Board of Directors
- Determine, understand and periodically review the vision, values, aims and objectives
- Engage in strategic planning, establishing the organisation’s direction, major goals and performance criteria in the context of the external challenges, opportunities and threats
- Formulate and review policies and procedures to govern the way Healthwatch Bucks is run, always ensuring that corporate activities and communications satisfy legal, statutory, ethical and other requirements
- Approve and monitor Healthwatch Bucks’ priorities, programmes and services ensuring that the views of stakeholders are sought and represented
- Ensure adequate financial, human and technical resources to achieve Healthwatch Bucks’ objectives within financial restraints
- Provide effective financial oversight and risk management
- Select and support the Chief Executive, delegating operational responsibility and reviewing his or her performance
- Understand and respect the relationship between the Board and the Chief Executive, staff and volunteers
- Act as a responsible employer through carefully thought out HR and volunteering policies and practices, ensuring safe and healthy working conditions and that appropriate development and succession plans are in place for Board level and senior staff positions
- Enhance the public reputation of Healthwatch Bucks safeguarding the integrity, reputation and intellectual capital of the organisation and its assets
- Carefully select and induct new Board Directors and ensure ongoing collective Board development and self- assessment
- Carry out Board business efficiently.
Individual responsibilities of each Director
- Work with the chair and other directors in setting the strategic plan and direction for Healthwatch Bucks and in promoting the organisation and its work.
- Set policies, standards and budgets and monitor the performance of Healthwatch Bucks against agreed work plans and performance targets.
- Promote good governance ensuring compliance with constitutional, statutory, regulatory and contractual obligations ensuring that agreed standards of behavior and conduct are maintained and that robust financial systems and internal controls are in place.
- Support the chair in the appointment and performance management of the Chief Executive.
- Build successful partnerships with key stakeholders and promote the purpose and values of Healthwatch Bucks, enhancing its influence and effectiveness on behalf of local people.
- Consider, assess and challenge reports on local health and social care services to ensure that Healthwatch Bucks’ public work and internal decisions are well-founded.
- Ensure that decisions taken by the Board are in the best interests of Healthwatch Bucks and that its legal and moral responsibilities to the wider public of Buckinghamshire are met.
- Attend Board meetings, internal workshops, sub-committee meetings, task groups and training events as required, to enable well-informed contributions to discussions and decision making.
- Contribute to, abide by and take collective responsibility for Board decisions, publicly supporting any decisions made.
- Represent Healthwatch Bucks at health and social care boards, conferences, seminars and events.
- Safeguard financial sustainability by optimising opportunities to generate additional income for Healthwatch Bucks in keeping with its purposes and values.
- Act as an ambassador and champion for Healthwatch Bucks, promoting its achievements and vision widely and proactively and protecting its reputation with all stakeholders and the public.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.