Healthwatch Essex are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person to join a small but dynamic team in the role of Research Officer. You will be part of the Research Team and carry out research on people’s lived experience of health and social care to inform local policy and practice. We work closely with stakeholders from the NHS, local authorities and universities, and voluntary and community organisations to help shape and improve the quality of care and user involvement.
Healthwatch Essex is an award-winning charity that aims to influence the future of the NHS and social care, formed as result of the Health and Social Care Act 2012 and the Government’s aim of ‘putting patients and the public first’. One of the ways we do this is by using innovative research methodologies designed to access in-depth accounts of patient, service-user, carer, and staff experiences of health and care.
Our small team comprises professional staff as well as a thriving network of volunteers and a Board of Trustees. Our work is primarily grant funded by central government (Department of Health and Social Care), via Essex County Council, and we also undertake commissioned work.
You will be expected to scope out and design a research project, collect data, carry out data analysis, produce high quality outputs and papers and present their work. Recent studies include men’s experiences of living with obesity, employment and volunteering experiences amongst people with learning disabilities, and mental health and suicide risk amongst middle-aged men.
You will have a relevant PhD, or master’s degree and expertise in applied social science research methods, preferably in health and social care. It is expected that the output of the research will be of sufficiently high standard to make Healthwatch Essex visible on a national scale, competing alongside comparable charities, think tanks, universities and private-sector research consultancies. This includes the publication of articles in peer-reviewed journals, as well as our own highly-regarded reports and other publications.
- Co-design research along with other members of the team.
- Engage key stakeholders in design and implementation of research.
- Prepare and submit research proposals for ethics approval.
- Carry out associated research administration responsibilities.
- Implement study design and carry out data gathering activities.
- Analyse and report findings.
- Be actively involved in the dissemination of research outputs through participation in national conferences, writing for peer-reviewed journals, and presenting research outputs to our stakeholders.
- Adhere to Healthwatch Essex’s data protection protocol (as well as other relevant policies and procedures) and to conduct research to high ethical standards.
- Comply with project deadlines and time frames.
For more information contact Dr John Day, Research Manager.
The Application can be downloaded from our website or downloaded from this site.
Closing Date: 29th October 2021
Interviews will be held on the 12th November 2021.
Healthwatch Essex is committed to providing equal opportunities in the recruitment,training and development of employees.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.