Healthwatch is an independent champion that gives patients and the public a voice to improve, shape and get the best from health and social care services. We do this by empowering local people and communities and letting those running services know what people want from care.
With integration and collaboration at the heart of health and care services across south-east London, partnership structures are changing to support an increasing emphasis on greater collaboration to support a system-wide approach. It is essential that patients and the public are at the heart of decision making and ensuring services meet the needs and aspirations our communities.
You will liaise with and represent six local Healthwatch organisations across south-east London on the south-east London (SEL) Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) governing body (and related sub-committees).
You will bring patient and public perspective, informed by your liaison and engagement with the six Local Healthwatch (LHW) across south-east London.
It is not intended that this role will have oversight of Healthwatch engagement or patient and public engagement, rather that you will help to hold the CCG to account, through the appropriate governance processes, and facilitate use of LHW intelligence to ensure the CCG discharges its engagement functions effectively.
As a member of the SEL CCG governing body (and related sub-committees) you will share responsibility for ensuring that it exercises its functions effectively, efficiently, economically, with good governance and in accordance with the terms of the SEL CCG and NHS constitution.
You will work with the SEL CCG governing body as a whole and with the six LHW and will help ensure that:
- the voice of Healthwatch is heard and the views and interests of patients and the public are at the heart of discussions and decisions
- insight and intelligence from LHW is used to encourage and influence positive change to services and help meet the health and social care needs of the SEL population.
- SEL CCG carries out meaningful collaboration with LHW, and other relevant stakeholders, to commission or restructure services
- SEL CCG engages with LHW to monitor and ensure the highest quality services are delivered and offer the best possible outcomes for SEL patients
- SEL CCG governing body (and related committees) maintains a consistent focus on patient experience,
- SEL CCG is responsive to the views of LHW, patients and the public and promotes shared decision-making in all aspects of its business
- SEL CCG has appropriate arrangements in place to secure LHW involvement and responds in an effective and timely way to feedback and recommendations from LHW
- there is transparent communication between SEL CCG and local people, including through the dissemination of clear information via LHW, where appropriate.
Core attributes and competencies
The post holder must:
- demonstrate a sound understanding of, and a commitment to upholding, HW principles, values and functions as set out in HW statutory duties
- be committed to working with and across LHW organisations, with an understanding of the challenges faced by small voluntary organisations and ability to spot opportunities and potential collaborations
- be committed to valuing diversity and promoting equality and inclusivity
- be passionate about continuously improving outcomes, tackling health inequalities with a focus on ‘seldom heard’ communities
- have good understanding of the role of HW and an appreciation of current and future broad social, political and economic trends influencing health and social care
- be able to understand and analyse complex issues and information from a service user perspective, drawing on the breadth of insight provided by LHW to inform SEL CCG deliberations and decision-making
- have the confidence to question information and explanations supplied by others, who may be experts in their field
- be able to influence and persuade others, articulating a balanced HW view, and to engage in constructive debate
- ability to recognise key influencers in advancing HW, and user views, and the skills to engage and involve them
- have the ability, organisation and initiative, to proactively build and maintain an effective relationship with LHW and communicate effectively across LHW, listening as well as actively sharing information
- have the ability to translate complex concepts into readily understood, engaging language.
Core personal experience
The candidate should have:
- demonstrable understanding of the arrangements for listening and responding to the voices of patients, carers and patient organisations in public sector organisations such as the NHS
- a track record of successfully involving patients, carers and the public in the work of a public sector organisation
- understanding and experience of effective involvement and engagement techniques, and how these can be applied in practice
- previous experience of promoting the voice of patients and the public, including in collective decision-making groups such as boards/committees
- a track record in securing or supporting improvements for patients or the wider public
- previous experience of empowering the participation of patients and the public in the design and delivery of health or care services
We are an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief. We aspire to reflect the diversity of our community in our workforce. We positively encourage applications from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds, disabled applicants and those from other under-represented groups.
Application Closing Date: 23:59 on Monday 3rd February 2020
Interview Dates: 19th or 20th February 2020
Your CV and supporting statement combined should not exceed four sides of A4 in total.
Please note - this is a Home Based role with regular meetings in the South East London area.
Your supporting statement should:
- outline how you meet the criteria as detailed in the core attributes and competencies;
- include why you are interested in this role; and
- provide details of what skills and experience you bring, as set out in core personal experience.
We look forward to hearing from you.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.