Ideal time commitment: 1 or 2 days per week for initial six months
Reports to: Receptionist
About the Helen Bamber Foundation
The Helen Bamber Foundation (HBF) is a human rights charity based in London which was founded in 2005. Our specialist team of therapists, doctors and legal experts have an international reputation for providing therapeutic care, medical consultation, legal protection and practical support to survivors of human rights violations.
HBF grew from the recognition that people who have suffered prolonged inter-personal violence – whether from human trafficking; war; community, domestic or gender-based violence – present with similar physical and psychological symptoms to torture survivors and experience the same complex and enduring responses to their trauma.
We offer our clients a Model of Integrated Care, providing legal, medical, psychological and welfare support, as well as an Integration Programme which includes arts-based groups, and skills-based classes such as English and IT. Through this, we help our clients to develop a sustained recovery from extreme trauma.
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic volunteer to assist our receptionist in hosting our busy reception area and friendly waiting room. In this role, you will use your excellent interpersonal skills to welcome clients and visiting professionals and other volunteers to the Helen Bamber Foundation, making them feel comfortable, attending to any immediate needs they may have, assisting them with their queries and notifying clinicians and other staff of their arrival.
You will be at the heart of an exciting, team of experts working as a representative of the Helen Bamber Foundation and the first point of contact for our diverse range of clients and visitors. You will be a self-motivating team player, organised, efficient and have a compassionate mind-set.
Main tasks and activities
- Greeting clients and ensuring that clients are having their immediate needs met;
- Ensuring the reception is well-presented;
- Answering the phone and responding to a wide range of enquiries;
- Maintaining the shared Outlook calendar and co-ordinating room allocations;
- Booking interpreters;
- Ensuring the smooth running of the day to day activities;
- General office administration including: ordering of office supplies, entering data, filing and organising office supplies storage etc;
- Reception cover when needed.
Skills and experience needed
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a high standard of written and spoken English;
- Excellent telephone manner;
- Computer literate with experience of Microsoft packages;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Punctual, reliable and self-motivated with a positive, ’can-do’ attitude;
- Ability to deal sensitively and in a warm, friendly and appropriate manner with clients who have specific needs;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise tasks within a time-pressured environment;
- A high level of discretion and confidentiality given the sensitivity of the information and nature of the work;
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the objectives of the Helen Bamber Foundation.
What you will get out of the role:
- A better understanding of asylum seeker and refugee processes in the UK;
- Experience of assisting in the running of an integration focussed arts and skills programme of activities
- Stronger administrative skills;
- An ability to multi-task between competing priorities;
- Experience of working with a multi-disciplinary team in a Human Rights charity;
- Ability to process large amounts of data and prioritise or categorise it;
- Ability to manage multiple busy calendars at the same time.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.