Data Protection Officer
The Data Protection Officer provides first line support and advice to the Society to ensure it meets its legal and regulatory requirements regarding data protection and that compliant data protection processes are maintained.
The DPO role operates independently and reports directly to the CEO. The role holder will be a member of the Society’s Risk and Compliance function. The DPO will not be penalized for performing their task and adequate resources will be provided to the DPO to assist meeting obligations.
Data Protection Officer Responsibilities:
• To inform and advise our client about their obligations to comply with data protection laws in the UK and Ireland.
• To monitor compliance with applicable data protection laws, to include the review of internal data protection activities, to advise on data protection impact assessments, to train staff and to conduct internal data audits.
• To advise on and monitor compliance with the data protection policies of our client in relation to the use and protection of personal data, including assignment of responsibilities and awareness-raising around the organisation.
• To advise and assist on the data protection implications of financial promotions and customer communications.
• To liaise with and support their Risk and Compliance function and to provide monthly activity reports as requested.
• To be available to attend meetings of the Executive, Audit Committee or other ad hoc internal meetings as requested.
• To be the first point of contact with supervisory authorities and for individuals whose data is processed (employees, members etc.) and to consult, where appropriate, with regard to any other matter.
• To be responsible for notifying the ICO of certain types of data breaches within 72 hours of becoming aware of the breach. Where the breach is likely to result in high risk or adversely affect individual’s rights and freedoms, to inform the individuals without delay.
• To respond to data subject access requests on behalf of our client.
Data Protection Officer Requirements:
• Possess knowledge and awareness of national and European data protection laws and practices including an in-depth understanding of the UK General Data Protection Regulations (UK GDPR) and GDPR application in Ireland.
• Have an understanding of the general insurance sector and processing operations carried out by our client as a provider of professional indemnity insurance, and also their Training Services as a provider of training services to the veterinary profession.
• Be able to promote a positive data protection culture within our client.
• Have a minimum of 5 years’ Data Protection experience preferably gained in a UK insurance or financial services environment.
• Be able to use initiative and to take a hands-on approach to solving problems.
• Be able to develop positive working relationships with all your colleagues.
• Be a self-starter, able to prioritise workload and manage evolving business needs.
• Cheshire location with easy access to the motorway network
This role is subject to a satisfactory DBS and credit check.
About our client:
They’re a mutual insurance company run by experienced veterinary surgeons on behalf of the veterinary profession, which:
• Insures the vast majority of the practising profession against the effects of claims of negligence
• Ensures that each case is handled by a veterinary colleague experienced in claims management
• Defends reputations and finances against unjustified claims and offers compensation when appropriate
• Includes cover for negligence resulting in human injury
• Provides legal representation at criminal and disciplinary hearings
• Offers advice and guidance to members, through training, Newsletters and other helpful publications.
They are an equal opportunities employer. We encourage applications whatever your background – be it educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
No external agencies please.
Location: Knutsford, Cheshire
Type: Part time, Permanent
Salary: £20,000 per annum
Benefits: They offer Competitive salary, Generous holiday entitlement, Non-contributory individual pension,
You may have experience of the following: Data Protection Officer, Data Protection Manager, Data Protection Assistant, Data Protection Administrator, Data Protection Coordinator, Data Protection Advisor, Data Protection Support Officer, GDPR Assistant, GDPR Administrator, GDPR Coordinator, GDPR Advisor, Insurance, Financial Services, etc.