Our client’s website is central to the Trust, allowing them to showcase their work and engage with a broad spectrum of audiences. It has rapidly become their most important communication channel. The newly-created Website Editor role will ensure that their website is as effective as possible in achieving their communication aims.
Website Editor Responsibilities:
- Writing website content to ensure it is clear, concise and easy to digest.
- Commissioning and coordinating the production of website content by other staff, including editing and restructuring where necessary, and proofing.
- Upskilling colleagues in generating website content via inductions for new and existing staff, the production of supporting documentation, and providing refresher tutorials as required.
- Identifying areas for improvement, including content templates for staff use, and evolving the visual presentation of the website.
- Contributing to the design and testing process of key user journeys.
- Deleting or archiving out-of-date content where appropriate.
- Trouble-shooting minor issues with content layout and styling.
- Understanding how specific content is delivered to the page and how to alter it.
- Conducting site-wide and database searches to update or remove specific links, references or terms.
- Undertaking simple image processing tasks and optimisation of website assets.
This is not an exhaustive list; the successful applicant will agree objectives with the line manager.
Website Editor Requirements:
- An undergraduate degree in zoology, ecology or conservation.
- At least a year’s experience in writing and editing scientific copy for the web.
- Experience of visualising scientific data and concepts in an engaging and effective way.
- An understanding of the principles of semantic HTML structure of web content, and how this relates to making content accessible, readable and optimised for search engines.
- Experience of using content management systems to produce content and administer a website or blog.
- Good grounding in digital image formats, image editing and layout software, optimising images and PDFs for the web.
- Active experience of birdwatching and the birding and/ or conservation communities, with good ornithological knowledge.
- Experience of writing web copy that is mobile-first and optimised for search engines.
- Experience of writing copy for fundraising or campaigns.
- Specific experience with the Drupal content management system.
- Prior experience of using website analytics and gauging the effectiveness of web content, specifically relating to Google Analytics.
- Experience of producing video for the web.
- Some experience of conducting user testing or gauging content performance.
About our client:
They are a UK charity that focuses on understanding birds and, in particular, how and why bird populations are changing. Their vision is of a world where people are inspired by birds and informed by science.
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent, 37 hours per week
Location: Thetford, Norfolk IP24 2PU
Salary: £24,016 rising to £26,685 over two years.
Benefits: Annual leave entitlement on starting is 25 days plus bank holidays (pro rata if part time). The post holder will qualify for life assurance (four times salary) and be automatically enrolled in the group personal pension scheme, benefiting from an 11% employer contribution. Other benefits include Employee Assistance Programme, discounts on books, flexible working and social events.
You may have experience of the following: Web Editor, Copywriter, HTML, Web Content Editor, CMS, Accounting, Online Content Manager, Assistant Web Editor, Content Developer, Digital Content, Proof Reading, Digital Content Editor, Social Media, Online Content, Adobe Photoshop, Google Analytics, etc.