Job purpose and role
To communicate the message and impact of Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) and ensure it is widely recognised as a day of national significance, by leading on the development and delivery of our communications strategy. HMDT are looking for an experienced communications professional who is creative, strategic, and politically astute.
- Oversee all of HMDT’s communications, and all of HMDT’s communications functions, including public affairs, media, social media, digital content and website, to increase reach and impact.
- Lead the creation of both the in-person event and the broadcast UK Ceremony for HMD.
- Oversee the annual development, delivery and evaluation of a media strategy, and use media to increase our impact through the year. Act as a spokesperson for HMDT as required.
- Develop sensitive responses for complex political and social issues and provide advice to the HMDT CEO and Trustees.
- Lead the ‘Light the darkness’ national moment for HMD to embed it in the national consciousness.
- Ensure sensitive inclusion of fundraising messages in appropriate external communications.
- Oversee survivor engagement and ensure experiences of survivors and those affected by the Holocaust and subsequent genocides are central to HMD and HMDT.
- Lead and manage the Communications Team; manage the Communications budget; manage other agency and supplier relationships; coordinate HMDT groups and relevant trustee committees.
- Work as part of the HMDT team to realise the charitable aims of HMDT and the organisational strategic plan; undertake other tasks as may reasonably be required.
- Ability to think and plan strategically
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to deal diplomatically with sensitive situations
- Experience of working with opinion formers and high-profile individuals
- Experience of working in a busy communications environment
- Experience of working sensitively with a range of stakeholders
- Experience of developing and implementing digital campaigns
- Experience of line management
- Understanding of how traditional and new media can drive impact
- Understanding of the UK political environment
- Interest and willingness to learn about the Holocaust and subsequent genocides
- Understanding of and commitment to Equal Opportunities
- Strong team player
- Adaptable and flexible
- Experience of managing budgets
- Experience of working across the UK, including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Experience of developing, implementing, or increasing awareness of a brand identity
- Knowledge of antisemitism and relevant contemporary issues
- Knowledge of the Holocaust and subsequent genocides
This job description is intended as a guide to the main responsibilities of the role, not as an exhaustive list of duties and tasks. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties appropriate to the grade that are not listed above. HMDT examines and updates job descriptions periodically to ensure they relate to the role being performed.
All staff are required to support key activities such as attending HMD events therefore using annual leave in peak periods may be restricted
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.